Classic Book Status [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Classic Book Status

striblue
01-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I put this on the Moderators forum and will place this here now. I have yet to tye a fly since the end of the summer and am devoting about 100% of my free time on the book. I have been reseaching the saltwater fliy going back to the ancient Greeks up though Bernes and to Walton , though the early English sea trout to the early American writers like, Brown, Smith, Scott, Holder, Norris, Forester, Cory, Roosevelt and Henshall.. This will turn out to be a 200+ page s on the History--- this currently includes a Bibliography of about 75 books...need to then look though the old magazines and make a trip to Manchester VT and to the IGFA...Plus I have finished Interviewing Edson Leonard, Al Brewster, Cooper Gilkes,Armard Courchaine, Bill Catherwood , and Steve Raymond on the west Coast... I will need to follow up. This week I have arrangements to interview Stu Apte, Mark Sosin, Bill Curtis and Scott Sparrow (TX Coast)...Will be making arrangements to interview Russ Chatham as well and the Historian of the Catalina Tuna Club and a trip to the Library at the NY Anglers Club.. I will probably interview more including a second round with Lefty Kreh. Joe and I have been gettig commitments fro flies from just about all the "who's Who "in Saltwater... from Popvoics, Abrames, Puglisi, Sedotti, Brown, Taboury, Blados, Blanton, Purinchief, Borski, Clouser, Farrar, Martinek, Murphy, Fernandez, Gartside,...to name a few... We are really getting down to it looking at the October 05 first draft deadline. Combs, Daulberg, Mitchell, Seigler, Pallot, Whitlock, Curcione, Bailey, Moret, Cardenas, Humphreys,etc...need follow ups. I will be traveling down to the URI to examine Harold Gibbs papers. Spoke to Stu Apte and C. Boyd Pfieffer today and have communicatiing on a regular basis with Mark Sosin. So... I am a duracell battery.....but I need to crank it up.... Ps. Russ(Flytyer) and Leland are also helping with some West Coast stuff. Lee Schechter, from NJ..who has a love of the classic stuff has agreed to tye flies as well.

FishHawk
01-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Sounds like it's going to be a great book. Hope you can get some time in for fishing this season. FishHawk :D

polareyez
01-08-2005, 11:54 AM
John,

I second Fishhawk's thoughts. The book sounds real interesting. It also sounds like you have your hands full. Keep a free hand for your flyrod. See you in May.

Paxton
01-08-2005, 03:29 PM
John, It has had to be a great thrill just meeting all the greats! Leave room in the book for your "crab-apple"....maybe your book cover. Best of luck with the book!
Ron

striblue
01-11-2005, 11:08 AM
There are a number of names that I did not include in the post because it is too long. Naturally ,one name I ommitted but was very helpful and we plan to have his narrative in the book is Art Burton. That was automatic....

FrenchCreek
01-12-2005, 03:07 PM
John, just remember that I am on the list for pre-sold authographed copies!

Striper
01-30-2005, 10:55 AM
John,
I am thoroughly impressed by your undertaking of this mamooth (sp) book writing project it is quite a large subject to take on. You are very lucky to have the opportunity to meet and speak with some if not all of the all-time greats in the sport. This hopefully will become a defacto go to source for everyone interested in the history of fly-tying. I also think it is awesome that you are including space for Mr. Burton as he has been around the block more than a few years and has enormous amounts of information to share I am certain. It is men like Art who really keep the candle burning for the younger of us who have not been around long enough to learn the things they started. Very cool and I can't wait till it is done and I can get a copy.

Mike M.

JDJones
01-30-2005, 02:43 PM
You may want to interview Charlie Waterman. He has been a part of the Saltwater Scene from the very beginning. Although rumors of Charlie's passing were going around several years ago, he is indeed still alive & kicking. His articles appear regularly in one of the saltwater flyfishing magazines. The last I heard, he was living in Florida.

TimSt
01-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Unfortunately, Mr. Waterman passed away on January 12, 2005:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Obituaries/03ObitsOBT011305.htm

striblue
01-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Another reason to get these interviews done as fast as I can.