Steeelies VS. Bones? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steeelies VS. Bones?

bonefishmon
01-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Due to a conflict in dates, I won't be attending the Ridiculous Boneclave on the Acklins-Crooked Islands. Plan to visit my son In Bremerton, Wa. that week with my wife for our 32nd wedding anniversary. Juro mentioned this may be a good time to do a little fishing for a few days in that area third week in March.

Can anyone on the forum que me in on the nearest best bet to cast to my first Steelhead? Could really use a fishing buddy if anyone is interested. I'll return the favor if you ever visit the Northeast. Thanks.

Phil

Salmo_g
01-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Phil,

The third week in March is a good time for native winter steelhead in the PNW. I recommend the Skagit, Sauk (if it cleans up), the Sky (if it's open this year), and the Hoh and Queets on the Olympic peninsula.

What is less certain is mixing steelheading with an anniversary trip with your wife and visiting your son. How much time do you have to allocate to fishing?

Winter steelheading is very hit or miss, even if water conditions cooperate. And water conditions don't cooperate. Coming from outside the region, your best bet is if you can allocate at least 3 days for fishing - and more is better. A contingency plan in case all the rivers are out is worthwhile. Meanwhile, stay in touch with anglers here to see how fish runs and water conditions are doing.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

bonefishmon
01-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. We'll be there for a week, maybe nine days and she knows how badly I wanted to go on the Boneclave. I will more than likely get at least two days to try. Skunked or not i'm sure the scenery will be a great reason to get out and see some beautiful country. Farthest west I've been is the Ruby River in Montana. My son wants me to do the Olympic P loop and I'm sure we'll cross a few rivers on the way.

Phil

Salmo_g
01-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Phil,

As long as you're doing the OP loop, you'll cross the Hoh. It would be a shame not to stop and give it a try. When the time comes, get in touch if you need or want some detailed information.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

juro
01-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Phil,

Sorry to hear you can't make the expedition but where you are goin' is not too shabby believe me! I would consider it a second choice for that week in my book; steelheading in March on the OP is hard to beat. Read our Holy Grail article in Chronicles for a little background.

You are right, it's some of the most beautiful country on earth and the rivers are hypnotic with the promise of the alpha trout in every swing.

You can bring your striper rod but you might need a new line for the job. You would do best with a sinkting tip line, which is a WF with the front half hi-density and the back half floating. You need a loop to change tips to match the pool.

If you want to make the plunge into spey, I have a loaner you can borrow but you'd need a lesson to get started at least.

Cast and apply tension to slow the fly as it swings down and across and cover the pool at the best depth possible. Enjoy the scenery and you just might get your arm pulled off by a rainbow searun the length of your leg.

For touristy stuff downtown is cool, as are all the various outposts. Your wife will appreciate that you didn't abandon her on your anniversary and the rIdIcUlOus bonefishing clave is an annual event, with hopes of making it a couples clave in the future.

My fingers are cramped, lets talk by phone if you need more details. I hope one of the PNW locals is able to show you around - guys Phil lives in a very strategic spot on the water where the stripers eat shad that are bigger than a Sakgit dolly. If you have plans to visit this coast, you might do well to take him up on the offer of a swap!

bonefishmon
01-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks Juro. I feel much better now! Perhaps a fly swap is in order? I don't have a clue as to OP flies. Need some bonefish patterns to use or share on your trip? I lost your phone #. Please PM. Address as well.

Phil

sean
01-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Phil keep in touch....From where you will be at there are plenty of oportunuties and I would love to work it out to get a day or two in with you.

-sean

bonefishmon
01-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Sean. Please PM me your address. Sorry to hear about your loss. My son had ALL of his stuff stolen while fishing in Colorado. A whole year of tying down the drain. The rods can be replaced but the flies are priceless. Good luck to you. I've got an old wothless and bent cane rod you can use to give the bastard 40 lashes when you find him! LOL!

Phil