Burrowing sandeel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Burrowing sandeel

Slinger
01-07-2005, 03:21 AM
Here`s somthing I saw somwhere and thought I`d give a try. It`s called a Burrowing Sandeel. A loop of mono is tied in around the eyes like outriggers and the fly stands right up on it`s nose, like a sandeel digging in.
Slinger

Slinger
01-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Now if I could see the fish before they see me and hightail it I`d be in fine shape!
Slinger

FishHawk
01-07-2005, 04:53 AM
Saw a similar fly last year on the shuttle to SB last year. The angler said he had great success with this type of fly. FishHawk :smokin:

Smcdermott
01-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Slinger,

The first place I saw that idea was in a Dave Skok pattern. He used the mono "outriggers" with a peacok herl fly I believe. The only place I have seen the pattern is in "Sight Fishing for Striped Bass." I think he also usually has one lying around his table at the shows. I may have to give it a try this summer as I was always curious how it would fish.

Sean

juro
01-07-2005, 09:13 AM
I have been playing with this concept as well, however I use flotation and it doubles as a worm in different colors. Durability has been an issue and I am still searching for a new material before I disclose the project's results :D

Slinger
01-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Yup, it`s in Caolo`s book, says it was originated by Skok. I, of course, used different materials. I saw a referance to it in the current issue of FFSW mag. Sean, thanks for the subscription!
Slinger

Smcdermott
01-07-2005, 09:57 AM
No problem on the subscription Steve. Of course I haven't gotten my copy yet this month! Let me know on the boat show this weekend.

Sean

Penguin
01-07-2005, 10:06 AM
I've tried (with some good success) the mono arms but have a problem storing/carrying the little monsters.
Juros' idea of "prop-up" floatation sounds like an interesting alternative...
Craft foam? Cork? Custom PFD? A small anti-matter-particle-generator? :confused:
R&D continues...
The photo shows a scanned, standing clouser w/mono outriggers...

RayStachelek
01-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Steve,

Try tying a hackle feather or marabou plume at a 90 degree angle from the hook shank less the mono stand. This up-right position of the feather works well with Clouser type flies. Doing this keeps the eyes of Clouser flies dragging along the sandy bottom. It may produce small puffs of sand which stimulates fish behavior.

FrenchCreek
01-07-2005, 01:13 PM
I use the mono outriggers for a leech pattern, the mono is between 1/2 inch long for size 6&8 hooks and 1 inch long for larger sizes. It is a very effective pattern when fished slowly on the bottom. The mono is tied so as to have it facing fwd at the front of the hook. I think the pattern is called the Bristle Leech (?).

striblue
01-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Nice Job Steve!, Back on August 5, Steve Ferrar posted the same concept on this forum.... with the mono. Nat Moody from first light also does one he tied two years ago with the tail tied up the shank which gives it the nose first effect.... on Nov 4, 2003, after seeing Moody's fly I posted one here which was one with a mylar body...same concept.... I caught one fish the first time I used it off Stage harbor down Hardings beach. But look at Ferrar's also, bueatiful work...

MCorder
01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
A little concept I thought up on the way home, a quick tie but demonstrates what I'm trying to convey...A Bent Hook. I'm a little busy right now to spend allot of time at the vise so if anyone wants to run with feel free....just give it a cool name.

Smcdermott
01-07-2005, 04:29 PM
A little concept I thought up on the way home, a quick tie but demonstrates what I'm trying to convey...A Bent Hook. I'm a little busy right now to spend allot of time at the vise so if anyone wants to run with feel free....just give it a cool name.

Mcorder,

I think with bending the hook in that fashion you would greatly reduce the effective gap of the hook and your ability to strip set. Would you agree?

MCorder
01-07-2005, 04:36 PM
It's not much worse than the bait hooks they use down here for Reds.

Dble Haul
01-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Sean, I agree with your concerns. I tie some crayfish patterns with the Diachi 1730 hook, which has a bend of about 30 degrees. I don't think this angle compromises hook gap, but anything beyond that is somewhat questionable. The flies pictured here appear to be at least twice the 30 degrees and may hinder the gap and hookset.

MCorder
01-07-2005, 05:32 PM
I see your points, I didn't think it was that bad. Perhaps we could imagine in our mind that the ben is a little less... Like I said, it was a quick tie that I knocked out quickly.

Thanks for the input!!!

jfbasser
01-07-2005, 05:45 PM
A 90 degree jig hook and a pair of dumbells may offer a few more options.

FredA
01-07-2005, 06:09 PM
I think MCorders on the right track. That looks like an LC413 with the hook eye rotated 90 degrees. I'm gonna try the 413 with a tungsten cone and bouyant material for the wing and kinda hi-tied, like a well diggers arse but different.

jfbasser
01-07-2005, 11:36 PM
GO get 'em Fred....and remember the bottom line...."let the fish decide!"

juro
01-08-2005, 05:52 AM
McCorder -

I like the tie, you got the wheels turning. If you don't mind I am going to copy it for the ridiculous clave but try a few variations:

- put the eyes below the shaft instead of above it
- replace the mono outriggers with an epoxy disc
- keep the bend at approx 135 degrees obtuse
- add a puff of tan marabou as a tail

I'll let you know how the 'popeye' fishes. ;)

Quentin
01-08-2005, 11:42 AM
I use the mono outriggers for a leech pattern, the mono is between 1/2 inch long for size 6&8 hooks and 1 inch long for larger sizes. It is a very effective pattern when fished slowly on the bottom. The mono is tied so as to have it facing fwd at the front of the hook. I think the pattern is called the Bristle Leech (?).

Interesting concept. I picture the mono sort of digging in as the fly is pulled forward, which would stir up the sand or mud right in front of the fly and make the fly "nosedive" and raise the tail. Is that how it fishes?

The other "stand-up" flies look interesting (and deadly!) also.

Q

FrenchCreek
01-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Q:
I use the trout version Bristle leech only in still water, for obvious reasons. The fly is weighted and the hook slightly bent up at the head. When it sits on any bottom, the bristles will stir up the bottom and the "heads up" design imitates a feeding leech, or so the theory goes. For SW applications, the way Slinger ties it (and other suggestions in this thread) I would look to have a "heads down - digging back in" design for the sand Eel patterns.

striblue
01-08-2005, 01:56 PM
This gives me a better idea for a crab pattern....use the mono in a way that will kick up a bit of fluff sand as it is moved along the bottom... a thick mono"flange" attached in such a way as to accomplish this.....now...Juro...you need to tell me now if this is what you are thinking!. :eek:

juro
01-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Nope this one isn't in my slideshow! :lildevl:

MCorder
01-09-2005, 03:32 PM
A little more time at the vice, I think I solved the hook gap problem, more resembles a "Shrimp Chucker"....bending the hook twice for more of a gradual wider bend.

Dble Haul
01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
MCorder, methinks you're onto something now! :)

No problems hooking a biting fish with that.