Warmwater dream destination [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Warmwater dream destination

Dble Haul
01-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Enough talk about dream saltwater, trout, and salmon dream destinations....what about warmwater?

Northern pike and smallmouth bass are without question my favorite freshwater fish. Over the past few years I've been fortunate enough to sample some great fishing for each in North America, so now my sights are keenly set on a new target:

Peacock Bass!

I'm not talking about those stockers in the canals of Florida. I'm talking about those brutes in South America that can break plugs in half on the strike and rip your arms off during the fight. Acrobatic, aggressive, territorial.......maybe the reasons that I've locked onto them is because they combine the attributes of my two favorites.

This is my vow: sometime in the next several years, I must make it to the Amazon River basin and catch peacock bass on the fly. You are all my witnesses to this promise. :wink:

What's a warmwater dream destination for you?

Adrian
01-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Peacock bass look seriously cool - plus there are all sorts of other large finned critters lurking in the tannin stained Amazon.

Other targets would include Nile Perch - they get seriously big - >100 kilos :lildevl: - and Tiger Fish - both in Africa.

Dble Haul
01-04-2005, 01:04 PM
You're right, those tigerfish look pretty darned formidable too. I'm not quite as familiar with them as I should be, though. See, there was a show with Cindy Garrison fishing for them but my attention really wasn't on the fish.... :devil:

flyjkol
01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
I tied flies for a friend going down to Brazil for peacocks- 6/0 8 inch bangers and streamers in the most gawdy colors (Hot pink and orange poppers were the ticket) .................ridicules. Apparently he was able to catch several about 10lbs. Considering these fish break "pool cue" casting rods, they must be like nothing else with fly tackle.

As for my dream fishing oppritunity, I'd like to go as for north as that 40" northerns are nothing special.

FrenchCreek
01-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Mark go for it, sooner is better... I've not done the PB myself but my friends (who now live in Guyana) use a 9 foot - 10 Wt. dry line and whack the Peacock Bass with a Yakka-Pika variant in local rivers. I just can't make enough flies for them.... One guy said he has also caught tarpon on this fly, go figure!
I make the variant Yakka-Pika, with a large spreader at the front, tied on a TMC 511S popper hook 2/0, same color scheme. The spreader is tied on in front of the eyes and the Yak hair is NOT tied down behind the eyes. It's awsome, so they tell me!

FrenchCreek
01-04-2005, 04:32 PM
My dream Warm water trip should happen this summer, although i don't think the water will be very warm!.
Lac La Martre in the NorthWest Territories. Do a web search for the lake and you will undrestand.
Lakers and Pike, VERY LARGE IN BOTH SIZE AND NUMBERS, as reported by a friend who went there a few years ago. Their claims are accurate!
I must dream on since I have a really bad case of shack nasties these days!

peter-s-c
01-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Great Slave Lake and surrounding lakes in NWT -- monster pike and loads of them. Hit my first pike on a fly in '91 on Blatchford Lake, 50 miles from Yellowknife. Loved Yellowknife -- great place.

FrenchCreek
01-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Mark, this is the one I tie for the guys in Guyana. I'll mail it to you that way you will have to get out the Peacock Bass heaven sooner! :chuckle:

Quentin
01-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Some day I will go to NW Canada to go sight fishing for giant northern pike. I've seen video where log-sized pike were everywhere and the fishermen could choose which fish to try to catch. Even though it was only on TV, it still got my adrenaline going to see the wakes and bulging water from the attacking pike :Eyecrazy:

Another closer dream destination is Lake Winnipesaukee or some other smallie lake in NH or ME where pike and muskies are also a possibility.

Peacock bass are another dream altogether. And those tiger fish . . . yikes! You'd go through 100 flies per day with those things!

Q

Dble Haul
01-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Pete, you're killling me! If you send one of those flies, I'll have to send you a few of my recently developed patterns, still under production. They could use some testing north of the border. :wink:

Quentin, if you have an opportunity to fish Winnie in NH by all means do it. I finally got there at the end of May last season, and even for a bad day condition-wise we still landed many fish, none under 15 inches. You can search this forum for more details. It's everything they say it is and more.

OC
01-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Pete,

That fly could catch fish anywhere in the world, nice job.

I do one warm water fishing destination a year with the fly rod and it's to a local lake. Blue gills and I have a ball.

I hear that Cuba has the biggest large mouth bass anywhere. I would like to go and find out. My girl freind who has been many times untill recently says the people are wonderful and the environment in perfect condition.

chainsaw
01-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Is Canada considered a "warmwater" destination?

Dble Haul
01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Truth be told, smallmouth bass and northern pike are really cold water fish (pike moreso than smallies). IMO they have fallen under the label of warmwater because they aren't trout, salmon, or grayling (species associated with coldwater). Lazy? Yes. Accurate? Not entirely, but pike and smallies will definitely tolerate warmer temps than any of the coldwater species I've mentioned.

Now to the point regarding Canada. For a period of time, the waters up there can be quite warm, especially in some of the more shallow stretches of water pre and post spawn. On a trip last year visiting FrenchCreek, we regularly hit water temps in the low to mid 60s two hours north of Calgary, and I'm certain that they grew warmer as the season progressed. So for a window of time, certain waters in Cananda can be considered warmwater.

How's that for a qualified answer? ;)

SDHflyfisher
01-05-2005, 12:48 PM
musky and northerns in canada somewheres

also take a few side trip while i'm up there for trout

peter-s-c
01-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Is Canada considered a "warmwater" destination?

We're not up to our butts in snow, 12 months a year!. In July in Yellowknife, it's shorts and t-shirt weather.

Many of the lakes and rivers in Ontario won't support trout because they get too warm in the summer. Some lakes support lake trout only because they're deep enough for the fish to find cold water in mid-summer.

chainsaw
01-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Sorry, I'm in Fla, warmwater here is when it's in the 80's, the same as when it's shorts and t-shirt weather. As a matter of fact, it has been in the 80's here all week and will continue thru next week. That's what I would think would be warmwater. And I would consider warmwater fish bass and bluegill, although ya'll up in the northern part of our great country have them too!
Anyway, hope ya'll get some great fishing weather in the spring!! ... Rob

Quentin
01-08-2005, 10:59 AM
. . . And I would consider warmwater fish bass and bluegill . . . ... Rob

I agree that "warmwater" is an inaccurate way to classify the species of fish covered in this forum. It's really about all freshwater species not covered on the trout and salmon boards. Maybe "Other Freshwater Fish" is a better name? Not as "catchy" but more accurate :hihi: .

Q

Dble Haul
01-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Pete, fly received for "review and evaluation". :)

Thanks buddy! I'll be sending some of mine your way prior to your spring fishing.

fcch
01-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Since I have Pike about 10 minutes from the house, REAL warm water dream would be Cano Negra Costa Rica.

http://www.worldwidefishing.com/costarica/b2379/pic1.jpg
Image from: http://www.worldwidefishing.com

PS, And just to make you drool, the provincial record for pike was taken about 45 minutes from the office (not on a fly, but there is still hope). :D

Dble Haul
01-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Drooling away.... :wink:

teflon_jones
01-28-2005, 02:28 PM
I went to my dream warmwater location in December, 11 days in the Bahamas. I can't get those bonefish out of my head! It was my first time catching them. I'm not a big saltwater fisherman, but and I'm still hooked on the bones. My dream would be to go for a solid week of fishing solely for them! And maybe for a few sharks, jacks, and permit while I'm at it... :)

Eddie
01-28-2005, 08:00 PM
what about those fresh water Dorado that they have in Argentina. They look pretty cool.

Quentin
01-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Since I have Pike about 10 minutes from the house, . . .

PS, And just to make you drool, the provincial record for pike was taken about 45 minutes from the office (not on a fly, but there is still hope). :D

I mentioned going to Canada for big pike, yet I have 3 or 4 bodies of water within 30 minutes of my house that have each given up one or two state record pike or tiger muskies over the years. Most were caught by ice fishermen, but the fish are in there! (I still want to go to Canada! :biggrin: )

Q

nmbrowncom
01-30-2005, 04:20 PM
i am leaving in 2 weeks for my second trib to the amazon for peacock bass. i've developed a fly which i call "neal's peacock banger". it works well although it is huge, 8-11 inches. from the largest foam popper/slider i cut the pointed section off at about 1/2 inch behind the point. i then cut a slightly thinner section off of the wide section. i discard the remainder. next i tie moderate amounts ( 5-6'' long)of brightly colored flashy material such as near hair to the curved section of a 3x long 3/0 or 2/0 stainless hook. odviously i first wrap the hook with very heavy thread or even wool strands. i then epoxy the shaft of the hook and inserte the wide section of the cut foam popper over the hook eye and push it back to where the flashy material is tied down.do the same, pointy side first, when next inserting the pointed section of the foam popper. while the fly can take a good deal more material for aestethics, i have found that using feathers and nonessential materials does nothing for the fishability and adds extra weight and bulk to an already large and heavy fly. because the new face of the fly has two surfaces (butt end of the pointed end of the popper/sliderr plus the wide section behind it), it makes an absolute racket and moves a ton of water. the combination of its very long size, double splash noise, and water displacement results in strikes from the big boys. if i was more adept at using the computer i'd post a picture.

nmbrowncom
01-30-2005, 04:38 PM
sorry for the past post. it should have been in the thread begun by dble haul. if i can figure out how to move ii willt

Sean Juan
10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Hey Mark,

Just saw this post...searching "Big Girl."

You want to go to the Amazon hell I'll go with ya...I have no problem fighting jaguars, anacondas, man-eating plants, but you are so on your own when it comes to that mirco catfish that swims up your piss hole.

Dble Haul
10-26-2006, 07:50 AM
It always comes down to that, doesn't it? That's one reason not to wade the Amazon. :roll: :wink:

If the stars line up correctly sometime down the road and this happens, I'll feel very safe with you......anything bugs us, you'll just tackle it. :hihi:

FFA
10-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Well guys living up here in Manitoba I have the chance to go for pike and smallmouth any time I want. Has anyone ever thought of doing Channel Cats, Carp or Freshwater Drum. We have the number 1 destination for trophy Cats 20 minutes from my door. Love catching those 25-30 pounders. My absolute dream is to catch a Peacock Bass. Don't care how big as long as I get one.

rw993
11-03-2006, 07:38 AM
FFA,

I have not tried, but I understand Carp eat Cottonwood seeds from the surface here in Nevada. This is when the air is filled with the puffy, wind blown seeds. Someone is tying a Cottonwood Seed Patern.

RW

FFA
11-09-2006, 12:39 PM
When Carp start feeding on Cottonwoon fluff as I call it I tie on a size 12-14 Light Cahill or White Wulff. The takes I get are astounding. You will go throught a lot of flies though. To many hooks get straightened out with 25 pounders. If someone is tying a imitation of cottonwood seeds I would love to see it.

Adrian
11-09-2006, 12:54 PM
I think there was something like that in the carp fly swap we did a couple of years ago?

Dble Haul
11-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Yes, there was. I still have at least one of them......and someday I hope to eventually cast it to a big carp. :roll: :)

Quentin
11-09-2006, 07:56 PM
I got one of the cottonwood seed flies too. Still haven't tried it -- probably because it's in a box with a bunch of other flies and I can never find it :hihi: . Photo and recipe are here:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=19772

FFA - when you fish with Cahills or Wulffs do you have to drop the fly right in front of a feeding fish or will they rise up and hit it or find it as they cruise along? The carp I've seen eating stuff off the surface don't seem to target a specific bit of food but sort of munch their way through the scum or along the edges of surface weeds or timber.

Q

FFA
11-10-2006, 01:15 PM
There are times when I sit down and watch for the feeders and then cast directly in front. 9 times out of 10 they will hit the fly if it is presented properly. Sometimes just for fun I will fish blind. Let the fly sit on the water (more of a stillwater tactic) and wait for the Carp to come to the fly. You would not believe what I have seen. One day I thought I had worms on my fly but it was a Carp's whiskers tasting it. Was that nerve wracking or what. The fish didn't take the fly though. Other times I have seen Carp bow wave from 25 feet away just to take the fly. I was shaking on that one. As far as I know he is still swimming north with the fly still in his mouth. Most of the time I do prefer to sight fish to the feeders. More of a challenge.