Scampi anyone? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Scampi anyone?

speydoc
01-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Sorry after tying and looking at featherwings I have to go back to the dark side !

speydoc
01-04-2005, 01:53 AM
They are taking over ! Help!

speydoc
01-04-2005, 01:56 AM
Deadly in pink - a variant of a fly tied by Todd Scarf.
speydoc

Cascade
01-04-2005, 03:59 AM
Never seen anything like those flies over here, but would love to get my hands on them and give them a try ! :smokin:
They do look deadly !
Cascade.

fishingd0
01-04-2005, 04:20 AM
As cascade said, never seen anything like these over here. I am 100% sure they would prove deadly!!

What materials/hooke are used to tie them :confused:.

Gordon

Cascade
01-04-2005, 04:38 AM
Sshhhhh Gordon ! Don`t want everyone to hear ! :chuckle:
I think they are just cracking !
When Speydoc is having his clearance sale, I`ll be at the head of the queue for these beauties ! :hihi:

Cascade.

Charlie
01-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Dark side, smark side! Those things are cool! :smokin:

Charlie.

speydoc
01-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Gordon
These things are easy to tie - in essence these are Intruders tied on a 35mm waddington with a 50lb fireline loop to put the bait hook back a bit. Butt is polar bear underfur on a dubbing loop, followed by 3 turns of rhea then 2 turns of amherst centre tail, 2 black plastic beads on 50lb nylon for "eyes", body of dubbing with counted rib of contrasting cheneille, 2 strands of krystal flash with 2 grizzle saddle hackles followed by 2 turns of amherst side tail - small dumbels to finish! Bon appetite!
speydoc

fishingd0
01-05-2005, 06:02 AM
speydoc

Thanks for that, I will get to work with them on the comming weeks and let you know how they fair for Atlantic Salmon.

Gordon

Cascade
01-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Speydoc,
thanks for that. Could I ask what size the completed fly is, as it`s hard to gauge from photo. Do you tie them in various sizes?
Many thanks,

Cascade.

speydoc
01-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Cascade
The final flies are around 5" - 6"(12 to 16cm) these are the largest I can comfortable cast on most of my lighter speyrods and are more than large enough to get a response out of steelhead in cold, high or dirty water conditions. One certainly could tie them larger or smaller, however I have other patterns that I prefer if I am going up or down in fly size.
speydoc

Cascade
01-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Speydoc,
Thank you. (We had reckoned approx 6", and needed to check with you). We`re going to have a go at tying them. Really excited at the prospects for these. I imagine the movement is awesome, Will let you know how we fare out.

Cascade.

Willie Gunn
01-07-2005, 04:19 AM
speydoc

Thanks for that, I will get to work with them on the comming weeks and let you know how they fair for Atlantic Salmon.

Gordon

Gordon, Intruders work well on the Spey, Deveron and Beauly.

Ken_ D
01-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Well done, SD....whereas I am on dial-up, and most of today's web sites are geared for high speed, I struggle with 1 meg of data every 7 minutes here. Sometimes with pictures, it's slower than that. Viva 14400 connections..... :D Of course the upside is living very close to the river.
My request: do any of the forum sponsors carry the rhea feathers.
And if so, which one. Thanks. KD

Charlie
01-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Ken_D,

I purchased them from River Run Anglers before. They are great people to deal with and will go out of their way to help you.

www.speyshop.com

The other sponsors are great too. Give them a call.

Charlie.

Ken_ D
01-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks, Chas....we are up for ADSL.....we live just at the outside of the distance they will consider the hookup....4K from the switch...the tech is to come down either today or monday to do a line test.
I'm following with interest the Alberta model... where they hope to do rural areas with wireless.
Back to the topic: I am not too concerned over unit cost of the product..but am concerned with possible waste, RE: stem management.
Some of the feathers I have from other birds have very brittle stems, as a result of the dye process, or age. Are there any hints for rhea to avoid the stem cracking/breaking/green-stick fracturing, or is rhea going to be fine?
Thanks again. KAD

speydoc
01-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Ken
I always strip the rhea from the stem before wrapping, unless it is the very thin stuff near the tip. PM me if you have further questions.
speydoc