Featherwings [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Featherwings

speydoc
01-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Here are some featherwings I have been playing with - the first is a variant of a fly I used to fish for trout with as a kid; a Conemara Black. Braided nylon for the eye.

speydoc
01-04-2005, 12:32 AM
The next is a slightly more traditional variant of the same fly, this time tied with a longer "spey" style hackle.
speydoc

speydoc
01-04-2005, 12:34 AM
The next is a metal eye Thunder & Lightning.
speydoc

Charlie
01-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Very nice, as usual speydoc. Did you use an under wing on some of them?

Charlie.

flytyer
01-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Speydoc,

I love those strip wing flies tied with horns. Something about the way the horns move in the water just looks tantalizing to me. I assume you fish these, I certainly would. Like I've said before, it is very nice seeing folks tying, and hopefully fishing, featherwings.

grouseman
01-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Neophyte question: Why are the tails turned up? Is it functional (I frequently do this with nymph patterns) or aesthetic?

Ken_ D
01-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Well done, SD.....pray, tell: what head cement are you using? Thx.
ps: please look for my pm. KD

flytyer
01-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Grouseman,

Golden Pheasant crest feathers have a natural upward curve to them and since G.P. crest feathers (called toppings in the old salmon fly books) are the standard and most used tailing material (about 98% of them anyway), the tails curve up.

speydoc
01-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Charlie
On the two larger flies there is an underwing of Golden Pheasant centre tail - I find it surports the bronze mallard nicely.
Flytier
Yes I do fish featherwings, dependant upon water conditions - tying them on blindeyes is something I have only just started. As a kid(I grew up in Africa) we used to fish a lot of the old seatrout style(often these would be reduced classics) wetflies for the rainbows that were imported at the turn of the previous century, interestingly these fish were of shasta origen and may well have had steelhead genes - I found these fish were very responsive to flies dressed up with jungle cock eyes;- flies such as the conemara black,thunder & lightning, invicta,silver march brown,reduced jock scott and a reduced version of the dunkeld.
Ken
Cellire - 3 coats.
speydoc

juro
01-04-2005, 10:31 PM
What make/model of camera do you have? :eek: Amazing image quality to go with the beautiful ties.

A real treat for the eyes!

speydoc
01-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Juro - Pentax Optio WR 33,it is water proof, small and costs under Can$500. It also, as you have seen, has a macro feature.I got mine as my steelheading point and shoot in rain or snow camera where it absolutely exells! It has just been replaced by the Optio WR 43 - at just over 4 megapixels, beats the 33 by 1 megapixell and costs the same.Happy snapping!
speydoc

fishNphysician
01-05-2005, 03:09 AM
I'll vouch for the same camera... Optio 43 WR. Best camera investment i have ever made!