Bonefish Wading The Keys [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bonefish Wading The Keys

JONESY
12-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi ,
I just found this site, I will be in the Fla Keys in Feb. I want to do some wading for bonefish on the flats by myself. Could anyone help me in locating some good flats to wade (no boat) in the Big Pine Key area. Directions or landmarks would be great! This is a first time for me and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Jonesy

juro
12-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Big Pine is an awesome area, I would start at Bahia Honda State Park just up the hwy. It's easy access and has great flats to work on flood tides morning and evening. Mid-day will have fish cruising but the tailing is an off-hours thing for the most part. I have fished it in Feb and done pretty well, mostly big smart bones. I landed an 8# at Bahia Honda DIY, a most memorable fish.

If you rented a boat or kayak you could really get into some serious fishing but I would bring a handheld GPS with trackbak feature if I were going to do that.

Good luck and make sure you post a report!

JONESY
12-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Juno,
Thanks! I will be with some friends who will have a 21' Mako. How do I find/locate the flats?
Much thanks,
This is a great web site.
Happy New Year!

JONESY

juro
12-30-2004, 02:22 PM
I would recommend using skypic, a commercial site that sells aerials, and extrapolating where to fish using their great aerials...

http://www.skypic.com/flkeys/2-9092.jpg

JONESY
12-30-2004, 02:29 PM
I am new to the bonefishing , but have read and prepared for a while. I reside in Pa. flyfishing the great trout streams and Delaware River. I grew up in Belmar,NJ fishing the ocean since a kid. I fly fish for stripers in NJ and go to Cape Cod for them in the summer. I have dreamed of hooking up with a bone fish for some time so I want to know as much as possible so I can have a successful trip.
Thanks again,
Jonesy