2005 flyfishing resolutions [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 2005 flyfishing resolutions

Dble Haul
12-29-2004, 02:37 PM
I have only one: to fish more. :smokin:

You?

FishHawk
12-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Kayak more and fish more now that I have more time. Learn new waters .

FishHawk :smokin:

juro
12-29-2004, 11:09 PM
I have so many candidates... I should think them through and decide on which to focus on as the whole lot could not be possible. Let me post again after I skinny it down to a few achievable yet worthy items...

kennebecfly
12-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Fish (learn) new waters and buy no commercialy tied flys.Use my own, Try to fish with my nephews more

JusBones
12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
More DIY ......less guided fishing....and oh, one more thing....practice cast EVERYDAY!

Adrian
12-30-2004, 12:01 PM
Maximise my time on the water in 2005.

I let way too many great summer days slip by in '04.

fishingd0
12-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Return my first spring fish, if im lucky enough to catch one. :)

removed_by_request
12-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Remember how long an hour lasted when we were kids?

I want all my time spent on the water to be like that.

Moose
12-30-2004, 10:20 PM
Even when flyfishing became the predominant manner of my fishing pursuits I had, as always before it, kept a predatory instinct in my pursuit of gamefish. I was always locked into that tunnel vision-like "Hunt" of the quarry. Not headhunting or fish counting, but seriously pursuing the quarry. Whether it be bluegills in a pond, dorado from under the sargasso, or chasing bull elk with a bow, hunting was hunting, regardless of whether it was with rod or gun.

Over the last year and a half I have allowed myself to relax that edge for the sole purpose of learning the spey and attempting to get proficient at it. I likened it to that point in hunting where a person takes up the bow and must acknowledge that this method is much more difficult to get good at, much more serious a pursuit. Now that I have become comfortable with it and with my basic abillity (though I still have a long way to go) I resolve to now re-enter into my fish hunter mindset and try to actually catch fish rather than just cast, although I have come to love and appreciate the art and enjoyment of just casting.

It is time to seriously "pursue fish" with the spey rod! (God help me :o I'm gonna need it).

Dble Haul
01-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Moose, cool post. :smokin:

salt dog
01-03-2005, 12:50 PM
I had not focused on specific resolutions heading into the new year, but as I look where I've been this last year, and where my passions lie, and it becomes pretty apparent.

Frequently I hear and read of the classic stages a fly fisherman goes through, as his passion evolves with his increase in level of skill and experience. Local guide Dennis Dickson wrote an article on dry fly fishing for steelhead as opposed to fishing wet or sinkers that stuck with me, and points to a stage you reach after you have passed through the 'catch lots of large fish' phase. Catching fish 'your way', becomes a predominant stage, perhaps an end stage, where you insist on catching fish in the manner you most enjoy. Whether that distinction be based upon only fishing drys, or only with flies that you have tied, or any other basis that really turns you on.

While I do readily enjoy my time on a river, fish or no fish caught, my resolution is to not focus on the numbers of large fish caught, but rather fishing in the manner that gives you the most pleasure and feeds your passion, even if that limits the possible numbers of caught fish. I guess this is really just in line with the whole reason I fly fish to begin with, as opposed to fishing with gear, in that the pleasure is so infinitely better that I gladly pass over the higher numbers that gear fishing would likely give you, in order to focus on the manner of taking the fish. I agree with what Moose posted, its a difference similar to why hunters take up the bow over the rifle, it enhances the pleasure of the pursuit; in fact it is the pursuit itself, not the end result, that drives you out the door each year with great expectations.

Slinger
01-04-2005, 12:55 AM
The Albie fever has completly possesed me. I vow to add more states to the list where I have caught them.
Slinger

Hammer
01-04-2005, 03:45 AM
other than to catch green sturgeon,stripers,shad, on the Rogue and unearth some old Rogue style drifter history,is to get Salt Dog and Moose on a brand new bigger-longer Rogue River style drifter, :hihi: ,cause',i think they'd compliment each other,and whoop up on some Rogue steelies :D ,i like the `hunter' concept,in fact,that's what i prefer for guests,yet the hmmm `suttleness'?,for lack of a better word--- `mind game' style of thinking/planning fisher needs to be part of the equasion,ah well!,one can always dream of a `dreamteam',i guess i'll settle for actually showing a profit from guiding this year,then,of course i'm always interested in increasing casting distance/depth of drift with two handers, new flys are always being developed,in fact,i've been stalled out at the bench the last couple eves with a new secret winter steel fly that i can't seem to get the proportions to my liking and,well,i,uhhhh,mmm,,better go,work to do! :hihi:,,oh yeah!=== and don't forget about your home watershed!,it needs you!,only those who spend time on the water yearround really know what's going on,i've talked with so many old timers recently,and learned so,so much,only being out there will bring info to the surface,,so,mmm,i guess,,`being there more' would have covered it,,damn!,,, :o

fcch
01-06-2005, 01:54 PM
#1 Have my girlfriend connect to a Salmo Salar
#2 Spot, cast to and connect with Salmo Salar on a dry.

Bob Pauli
01-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Land a 40 inch steelhead.

bluegillbob
01-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Catch bigger LM bass than in the past...I want to catch an 8 lber...maybe a 10 lber! :)

Charlie
01-13-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm with Mark, just fish more!

Charlie.

DFix
01-14-2005, 09:43 AM
To fish once this year- just once.

North Island
01-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Every year for the last 8 years I make the same resolution. To catch and release wild (rivers without a hatchery) winter Steelhead.

Not as easy as some might think.

teflon_jones
01-19-2005, 11:07 AM
To fish more.

To catch a 3+ lb largemouth on my 4 wt.

To become a successful float tube fisherman.

To fish every fishable body of water within 10 miles of my house. Extensively. :)

To have at least one of my crazy new, unique largemouth/smallmouth bass patterns just kill 'em!

To have my wife still married to me after all of this. :smokin:

bd12345678
01-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Well, I suppose I should throw my new season resolutions into this melee! On the top of my list, I would really like to explore a future career that is in some way affiliated with fishing. My family thinks I've inhaled too much lacquer tying flies (and in doing so have lost a good deal of my brain cells along with my sanity). I refuse to believe what they do, because anything and everything is possible; nothing will stop such my intense interest and love for fishing. I will always pursue it in any way I can. I'm already on way and I'm tying production! I would like to research every available option, because they are comparably limited in todayís world. For those of you here who have already managed to do so, send me a pm if you have time; I cannot express how much this would mean to me.

Secondly, I would like to improve at catching river Carp. They are a dominant species in my area, and deserve my full efforts. However, I would like to go about it differently than other anglers in my area, with a sinking line, large flies and less sight fishing.

Thirdly, I propose catching some really large trout in unconventional ways. My largest trout this past year were all on large imitations (mice, small bass, grasshoppers etc...), and rather unconventional saltwater flies with sinking lines.

I would like to continue to hike way in and fish for small brookies, even if the number of castable chubs outnumbers the trout ten to one.

Pike. There is no more to be said here. I'm really sick and the only cure is Pike!

I would like to hit more Largemouth Bass and Pickerel ponds this year, especially through the use of a float tube. And you never know; the state pickerel record is not as large as I imagined!

So, I'm not sure how to fit this all in, but Iím sure I'll suffer through it somehow. :D
I really can't wait until this next season, but until then, there are flies to tie, a rod to build and a whole lot of research to commence. Later!
-Blake