Flys that Caught Fish in 2004 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flys that Caught Fish in 2004

natrix
12-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Here are a couple of ratty flys that actually went for a swim and caught a steelhead or two this year.

speydoc
12-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Natrix
The first would probibaly be described as a "Pink Butt Skunk" - I love fishing the green butt - I will have to give the pink butt a go!
speydoc

Smolt
12-28-2004, 09:47 PM
I did very well for Atlantic Salmon with the "Jon Olin" (I think that's how its spelled) and the ubiquitous "Green Machine" with a flour. green Crystal Flash tail. I hooked my first and only steelhead on a no-name fly the guide gave me on the Muskegon -- purple and yellow marabou wing, copper body.

natrix
12-29-2004, 11:05 AM
speydoc

For lack of a better name we have been calling this the "Red Butt Skunk". Trust me there have been hours of discussion and speculation regarding just what color that butt is. I think the cheniell was advertised as hot orange. It was just one of those things that went together as an experiment, and tuned out to be the most effective fly of the summer/fall season. The other fly with the black bear wing and the cactus cheniell body was a good early morning fly and also got quite a bit of action.

Ill put up a couple of un fished flys with the recipie.

This season I experimented allot with bright flys or bright or contrasting color flys. Many times I would get an initial tap or two on the bright fly an then change to a smaller dark fly as a comback fly whith which I would actually hook the fish.

That is such a great experience to get a couple of taps on a fly and then nothing change flys and then get hook up.

Natrix

natrix
12-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Smolt:

I posted another fly last season called the Working Girl which had a green but with a chartreuse kip tail hair tail. That was a so/so fish catching fly, but not nearly as good as this Red Butt Skunk.

Natrix