Redington Flyrods/Reels [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Redington Flyrods/Reels

bluegillbob
12-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Hello all,

Anybody have the opportunity to cast these rods? I have the catalog, and they look nice. :smile: Any feedback is welcome.
Bluegillbob

Jumbo
12-26-2004, 11:06 PM
my experience has been incredibly positive.
nice casting feel, nice fishability!
nice warranty and very nice price.

you can't really go wrong here.

silverbullet
12-27-2004, 06:56 PM
WHat models are we dealing with here?
I have fished both redfly and redstart rods and the AL reels. I have no complaints on either line.

Jeff

jsbbroady
12-30-2004, 08:50 AM
I have a 14' double handed Redington salmon rod. Very very light (9oz) nice to cast, single spey and double spey. Life time warranty. In the past I have used their trout rods too, which I never had a complaint about. I think Sage bought the company out, don't quote me though.

JB

silverbullet
12-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Yup, Sage now owns the company. Glad to hear you like the spey. I am thinking of picking up the 12'6" 7/8 spey after the first of the year.

Jeff

jsbbroady
12-31-2004, 03:53 AM
Thanks for clearing that up silverbullet! I thought I'd heard Sage onwned Redington somewhere.

JB

juro
12-31-2004, 05:03 AM
For two-handed rods I am partial to CND (cndspey.com) but Redington certainly does make a single-hand rod that casts very nicely for the money. I agree with the positive reports above but would offer one piece of advice, take it or leave it...

If you are serious about flyfishing you will upgrade to upper shelf rods fairly soon. In my own experiences, I bought a series of increasing higher quality rods until I reached a higher rung on the ladder that matched my tastes and spending limits. This means I ended up spending a lot more money than if I had bought a top-shelf rod in the first place.

I know it's hard to bite the bullet early but for me it would have been smarter to do the math. Also a high-end rod gets a good resale price if you want to upgrade.

Certainly when it comes to reels the better you buy, the better the investment.

That being said, I am not bad-mouthing Redington but suggesting it could be more economical overall to buy Sage if you are serious about flyfishing.

csherm
12-31-2004, 04:44 PM
You can get older model Redington rods (RF and RS) for a song at sierratradingpost.com. I've never fished them, so I can't attest to quality, but the price is certainly right. $40 - $80 for 5 or 6 wt rods of varying lengths.

Taking Juro's advice into account, I don't think you could be too dissappointed losing a small initial investment like this. I bought a $30 Pflueger as my first rod, and it still gets some action from friends interested in giving the sport a try.