Spring on the Catt? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring on the Catt?

juro
12-26-2004, 10:21 AM
In a recent visit to the Catt I got the fever in a big way. Now that it's frigid, I am wondering if there is a good spring fishery on the catt?

thanks in advance

BLACK FRANCIS
12-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Juro,
there definitly can be, but the water level is the hard part. we get a fresh run and there are drop back fish as well. i have had some of my best days in the spring, but you may find the timing tough at your distance. if you call me i can give you a good idea most of the time, but i won't guarantee anything. :) btw that disk of photos from the clave should be there by now.

Nick

Youngpatawan
12-26-2004, 12:21 PM
:D The Catt can be a good fishery in the spring, depending on how much snow we get over the winter months. It also depends on how bad the runoff is and how fast it clears out. It can usually fish through mid-may depending on how the weather is. It's just one of those river's that is totally unpredictable and it's contour can change from year to year. But with any luck it can be just as good in the spring as it is in the fall. If the Catt is not fishable you can also check out the Lower Section of The Mighty Niagara River. Although many are intimidated by this roaring bubbling river. But it also holds alot of steelhead in the spring time. I hope that the Catt cooperates for you to return and enjoy some great fishing.

Whorwood
12-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Hey Juro
If it stay's cool next spring, the Grand can have some good fishing, your more then welcome to come up and play in my Hyde with me.
Rick

juro
12-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Rick -

Thanks buddy, that's a hard offer to resist! Whats the best month?

Vince
12-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Juro
Nick and YoungPatawan are right on--fishing the Catt during the Spring is a hit or miss proposition depending on flows and water clarity, but the fish are definitely there.

There will be some good fishing on the Catt sometime during April and early May (I'm praying anyway)--just be ready to come at a moment's notice.

Vince

removed_by_request
12-30-2004, 04:42 PM
There's always the Big Manistee, great river to swing the long rod on. 80+% of the fish are river born.

Its the northwoods at its finest.

Whorwood
12-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Hi Juro
been fishing the last couple of day's, all of May would be a good time. Give me a call if you want to come up.
Rick