fly fishing destination [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: fly fishing destination

lustrik
12-26-2004, 05:36 AM
Hi, to all flyfishingforum members, if someone is looking for top fly fishing destination I have one for you. – SLOVENIA, Europe
I wish you all the best in 2005

Rok Lustrik
C&R

juro
12-27-2004, 09:48 AM
I've seen photos, seems like a beautiful place.

I was wondering if the marble trout is a hybridization of introduced brook trout and the indigenous Soca trout or are they (marble and soca) both indigenous species? I have heard that the Soca is endangered as a result of introduction of outside species to the area.

lustrik
12-27-2004, 11:24 AM
I've seen photos, seems like a beautiful place.

I was wondering if the marble trout is a hybridization of introduced brook trout and the indigenous Soca trout or are they (marble and soca) both indigenous species? I have heard that the Soca is endangered as a result of introduction of outside species to the area.

Hi, juro
Marble trout is indigenous. The slovenian name is soška postrv (trout from soca river). Latin name is salmo trutta marmoratus (marble trout, because of its colour).
(marble trout and soca trout are the same species)
We also have a hybrid between brown trout and brook trout it is called tiger trout, it is not indigenous, but good think is that the hybrid is not reproductive.

In the past our human species did a lot of stupid mistakes. One of them is the introduction of brown trout in to Soca river. So, now the problem is the hybrid between marble trout and brown trout-it is reproductive.
Our fishing clubs are investing a lot of money and effort to set things right. I am quiet sure that they will succeed, but of course the results are not expected over night.
One picture from this year 90cm. http://www2.arnes.si/~rlustr1/46TC0017.jpg
C&R of course
Good thing is that introduced rainbow trout is not in the salmo trutta family, it does not spawn at the same time as Marble trout and Brown trout. If it would that would be a disaster.

Cheers!
From Slovenia

Rok