Flatz Boots Recommendations [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flatz Boots Recommendations

FredA
12-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Got a gift cert to burn. So what's the latest in flats footware?

Eddie
12-25-2004, 10:13 AM
they don't look as cool as the new patagonia or sims boots, but I think I prefer the old neoprene ones.
Orvis sells some that seem good, except that they are low tops.
As with all foot wear, fit and comfort comes first. The Sims and Patagonias might be the ticket. Try befor you buy. Maybe a site sponsor would let you buy a few pairs and return the ones that don't make the cut.

juro
12-25-2004, 11:25 AM
I am going for the Patagonia Marlwalkers this year (b-day coming up). I need to try them on as they tend to run true to size as opposed to some brands that need to be purchased at higher sizes to compensate for socks and or waders. I own the Simms flats sneakers but my super-wide feet are too cramped in them. Some folks I know love them, so they need to be fit to your foot shape.

Unfortunately the shoes that work for wet wading often don't work well for use with waders w/ neoprene feet, the latter need to be up to 2+ sizes larger.

I am hoping wader companies get a clue and start offering the thinnest (durable) material for wader feet so the shoes used in wet wading can be used interchangeably.

Good arch support, durability against coral, low/no invasion of sand, and tops that protect against sting ray stings with a neutral color are best IMHO.

salt dog
12-30-2004, 03:23 PM
I have a cabelas low price ($40) flat boot that has a feature that should be avoided for any boot: the boot zipper is in the rear for rear entry, and the ankle is protected from contact with the zipper by a flap of thin material that lays between the zipper and the heal. Unfortunately, this also creates a pocket for sand to accumulate into. Even though I will wear a sock to keep sand out of the boot itself, the pocket has to be cleaned out after each use, sometimes even to be able to fully unzip the boot to get it off. Annoying design defect.