1841- Brown- Perch [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 1841- Brown- Perch

striblue
12-23-2004, 11:55 PM
In an obscure paragraph in this early book, the author says that at St. Johns River in Florida... anglers caught a trout- but the fish was from the perch family... and they caught it on a section of deer tail.... Does anyone Know what kind of fish this is commonly known as today. I know that that river is full of tarpon... but I need to find that answer.

Slinger
12-24-2004, 12:34 AM
John, just a guess but I think they`re talking about Weakfish, what we call Squeteague in my neck of the woods and they call`em speckeld trout down south. The St. Johns has tarpon? I`m gonna have to pay my uncle in Jacksonvill a visit, a fine Irish lad, names Tillman Calvin Davis.
Slinger

jamie
12-24-2004, 04:02 AM
Do you get Bass in that river?

Until recently the European Sea Bass was known as Sea Perch.

Just a thought....

striblue
12-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks Guys... Steve, I thought of that as well except Brown has a whole chapter on Week Fish or Squeteague in the book. I would have thought he would have identified it as that if he had a chapter earlier in the book on weakfish... this is why I am trying to figure out what kind of fish it might be..... He may have simply got a letter from someone down there and never actually saw the fish to identify it... so I am looking for all the species of Fish in that River and ,naturally , this was in the early 1800's so that species may not be found there now, we don't know. I did look at the perch family and there are a number of 'Big" perch found in Florida... but more so at other locations... naturally Brown or the giver of the info to him maybe wrong in identifying as part of the perch family.... so the mystery remains for now... This is an extremly important paragraph for the book since it is one of the earliest statements of Fly fishing I can find for saltwater species...here in the US.... Even his decriptions of Stripers has natural bait as the method... all references to flyfishing are in the trout and Salmon areas.... with one reference to Black bass...so you see that this is a significant lead for me.

Dble Haul
12-27-2004, 06:39 PM
FWIW, weakfish and speckled trout are entirely separate species.

jimS
12-28-2004, 09:19 AM
it could be a snook. They could be mistaken for a member of the perch family.

Simms