quasi intruder tube [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: quasi intruder tube

loophitech
12-22-2004, 10:34 PM
i have been toying around with tubes recently and am still learning so please be gentle as i am a rookie fly tyer.... :o

I am a big fan of intruders in the salt. i have my favorite stick, a meiser 1356 that i use as well and the standard big intruders just did not work well at all in terms of casting. aaron had a gentleman tie me up some small intruders on what i believe are 6 or 8 salmon hooks and worked wonderfully to cast.

so, wanting more i tied this little something up tonight and wondering if anyone has input as to how it was tied and looks for fishability. my intentions are mostly cuttthroat in the salt and damn near all of them hit the intruders like a mack truck.so, please let me know what i can do to improve upon my tube tying. i am using Loop tubes in silver....

the fly is less than 3 1/2 inches long and i used spey hackle on the tail, strung guinea and microbarb grizzly.

thanks,
vinnie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/doublespey/DSC00014.jpg

speydoc
12-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Looks exellent to me - how about adding a strand or two of krystal flash?
speydoc

loophitech
12-22-2004, 11:02 PM
DOH! :o

thanks, speydoc. i can do that. :)

vinnie

TallFlyguy
12-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Try a few turns of Rhea feather on Front or back of that.

what kind of Loop/knot is that connected to the hook? duncan loop?

Just curious

Tall

loophitech
12-22-2004, 11:31 PM
perfection loop, nice and easy to change hooks without disturbing the tube. sorry for the poor quality digital photo. hopefully my wife has taken my hints to the new nikon d70! :lildevl:

vinnie

grouseman
12-23-2004, 02:38 AM
[QUOTE=TallFlyguy]Try a few turns of Rhea feather on Front or back of that.

What is Rhea feather?

t_richerzhagen
12-23-2004, 09:30 AM
of loop with much higher knot strength is the non-slip loop. The perfection loop is fine for leader buts, but I would not use it for a tippet knot.

loophitech
12-23-2004, 10:06 AM
all i need is a little doubt! :eek: I will research the non slip knot.

vinnie

TallFlyguy
12-23-2004, 02:11 PM
http://www.flyfishlouisiana.com/nonslip_loop_knot.htm

Rhea is a new spey hackle given to us from the Gods.

Tall

t_richerzhagen
12-23-2004, 03:17 PM
for the non-slip loop. The number of wraps depends on the test strength of the mono. Stren recommends five wraps for 8-12 #, which is about right for steelhead fishing.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?appID=84&template=knot4.cfm

Brian Simonseth
12-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Tallflyguy

Welcome to the board

Homer2handed

speydoc
12-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Grouseman
A rhea is a large South American bird from the same family as the ostridge - it has wing feathers similar to the ostridge, the flue on the fibres is not as thick as ostridge and the fibre length ranges from about 2" up to over 7"(think skinny ostridge hackle) - it is truely spey hackle from the Gods! Scroll up and down this "Archive of Salmon & Steelhead Flies" and look at some of my posts on rhea and you will see plenty of flies tied with the feathers.
Loophitech
I agree with Ted, use a non slip loop knot in place of a perfection knot - the latter has very poor knot strength and is intended only for use with thick leader butts.
speydoc

loophitech
12-23-2004, 08:17 PM
thanks for the post of the website. i will definitely try it tomorrow on the sandy...with my new circle hooks from MJC... :D

vinnie