What is your favorite fly fishing fiction? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What is your favorite fly fishing fiction?

troutslayerny
12-21-2004, 03:32 PM
My favorite reads so far are:

The River Why by David James Duncan
The Compleat Angler by Isaac Walton

Both are deep and have made my "pond stocking" efforts much more enjoyable.

Yours?

Moonlight
12-21-2004, 03:52 PM
I too like, The River Why?
As a small boy I read a Hemingway short story that kind of stuck in my head I beleive it was The Big Two Hearted River, but it has been along time.

Brian Simonseth
12-21-2004, 04:29 PM
My brother just gave me ďI Fish; Therefore, I AmĒ by Patrick F. McManus three books in one (A Fine and Pleasant Misery, Never Sniff a Gift Fish and They Shoot Canoes, Donít They?). Iím looking forward to reading it he always put a different spin on anything and everything this isnít a how to but is a fun read.

loco_alto
12-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Ted Leeson, The Habit of Rivers.

Its fiction - but more like story telling from what I can gather were real happenings. I have several home waters in common with the author, so the stories help me see my local world through another (more eloquent) lens

Luv2flyfish
12-22-2004, 01:41 AM
The River Why, David James Duncan, is my All-Time favorite.

Anything by Roderick Haig-Brown (allthough not necesarily fiction)

Hammer
12-22-2004, 11:10 PM
anything above `gold rey' dam on the Rogue:chuckle: :tsk_tsk: :lildevl: sorry,,couldn't resist :devil:

sva01
12-23-2004, 07:18 AM
The Snowfly by Heywood. I don't remember his first name. It's really a great book and a fun one to boot. I also like The River Why, in fact I'm enjoying it for the third time right now.

OC
12-23-2004, 08:51 AM
The river why? I think we all can so easily identify with it with our youth.
Brian,
You miss read that title of the third story. It's, " They Shoot Fly Fishing Jet Sleds, Don't They?" :hihi:

Anyone remember the fiction By Jim Harrison about two fly fishing friends who go around the NW blowing up dams? Can't think of the name anymore but a great story and I must say that often I have wonderful dreams of such.

MJC
12-23-2004, 10:18 AM
What is your favorite fly fishing fiction?

Some of the reports I used to read in the Pacific Northwest Steelhead section. :whoa:

Moonlight
12-23-2004, 11:37 AM
I always figured Cloris Leachman for Mom and that big fat guy from the old TV series Cannon for H2O.
Muriel the girl of our dreams was the only one to possibly throw javelins from the tops of trees and dive naked into the stream in pursuit of the Summerrun!!!!!
Of course the young lad, Gus the Fish would be played by me. (The book has been around quite awhile!)
Anybody ever fish with a "Twinkie"?

Brian Simonseth
12-23-2004, 01:56 PM
OC

I stand corrected, I was wrong again.

Bob Pauli
12-25-2004, 01:29 PM
That every 12 months some fly rod manufacturers discover new materials and engineering principles that will revolutionize casting.

Chris
12-25-2004, 05:45 PM
No twinkies but I think I ran into Dutch Hines- The Fishing Dutchman- once. Seems there's one of them windbags everywhere.

Best bit of fiction in my first editions.

Watch out for the whitlesses, in whatever form they take.