Cabela's equipment [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cabela's equipment

Judge66
12-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Does anyone have, or has used the Cabela's SR-1 Reel

Just looking for some feed back on this reel

JimW
12-20-2004, 07:45 PM
I know this, what they make one year might not be available the next. If you're going to get a reel and think you might want a spare spool or two, better get it now. Sometimes what looks like like a deal is not in the long run.

I cannot give any feedback on the reel you are referring to but I made the mistake of purchasing a cabela's reel a few years back and large blues turned the drag to toast in less than a season of use. I still use it and palm the rim, bust a knuckle every now and then, this helps me remember to buy cabela's branded gear.

JimW
12-20-2004, 07:50 PM
BTW - welcome to the forum Judge66. Don't mistake my disdain for Cabelas with an unfriendly response, just struck a nerve. You may have better results with them than I did. The saltwater is not very friendly to tackle and I tend to beat on tackle, the good stuff seems to hold up to the abuse.

silverbullet
12-30-2004, 11:05 AM
I have two of these reels. I have had the one for almost 3 years now. I picked up another not long after I got the first one. I use mine for steelhead fishing on the Erie tribs and have no complaints other than this one. The original design you had to remove a the drag knob and a screw to remove the spool. this wasn't much of a deal but if you had to do it streamside it could easily prove disasterous if that little screw was dropped. The new models have a quick change sppol though.
The reel has a nice finish and a drag that is very smooth and has held up very well for me. The start up is very low as well. Hope this helps ya out.

Jeff

juro
12-30-2004, 11:26 AM
I've bought more than my fair share of fly gear over the years and do not buy from mail order megashops. I would rather pay a few more dollars, get the backing wound on perfectly sometimes for no charge depending on how much other stuff I bought, take a few relaxing moments in my hectic life at any flyshop I can get to by car - than screw them over by sending my dollars to big business.

.02 :D

salt dog
12-30-2004, 03:12 PM
I gotta agree w posts here: my partner purchased a rod from Cabelas with a lifetime warranty. After it broke while playing a large brown on the Madison, Cabelas basically told him that the rod was no longer manufactured, so no replacement, and warranty would not be honored. It goes without saying that I no longer do business with Cabelas.

Unless I can get a steal on ebay, I gotta agree w Juro and do buy the majority of my equipment local as I frequently need the info only a knowledgeable local fly shop can give me, and consider the info fair trade for my loyal business, and so do they, and they don't sell me "junk" because they know I'll be back and fully expect them to make it right.

If you are looking for value, generally stay with the best manufacturers and purchase their middle end stuff. For the most part, you end up with the same quality engineering, durability and warranty service work as their high end equipment, with some of the costly flash stuff missing is all. Anyway, it's worked for me, and I expect my gear to out live me.