Intruders on tubes [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Intruders on tubes

Lovetofish
12-17-2004, 06:52 AM
I've been tying some Intruders on tubes, but with the original pattern, I understand that spun deer hair is used toward the head and stripped pheasant is used as the rear and front collar. I've substituted barred teal flank for the pheasant, but can't figure out how to get something up front like the deer hair to create the vibration Ed Ward suggested it was there for. Any ideas?

Thanks,
A.C.

Philster
12-17-2004, 10:02 AM
I use the stiffest, driest black deer belly hair I have. doesn't take much. One small clump on "top" and one on the "bottom", trim the butts close. takes about a minute. Don't try to spin it. It'll spin a little on a tube, but it's not necessary.

jasonk
12-17-2004, 12:53 PM
i use polar bear under fur spun in a dubbing loop in instead of dear hair. it is really stiff and, in my opinion, looks a bit better in the water due to its translucency. it is also a bit easier to put on a tube than deer hair.

flytyer
12-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Try some wool from a patch of sheep's skin dyed whatever color you wish to use. These patches are readily available and work very well to produce the bulk you are looking for on the fly's head. Or use some egg yarn and tie it in the same as you would wool for a wool head streamer. These techniques have been used for many, many years on sculpin imitations so they sink faster and better than those with deer hair heads.