Mixed Wing Attempt [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Mixed Wing Attempt

sean
12-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Figure I will keep documenting my progress into the world of full dressed flies.

Well here is my first mixed and married wing attempt. Took a long time and I am decently happy with the results. Award still goes to speydoc for best Green Highlander though. For xmas I will be getting a better macro mode camera so the pictures will get better...

Charlie
12-14-2004, 09:17 AM
sean,

Very nice job! :smokin: You are on your way brother. You guys are getting me all worked up about doing some of my own classics.

Charlie.

speyflyfisher
12-14-2004, 11:40 AM
nice fly Sean
I sent you an email.
Speyflyfisher

flytyer
12-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Sean,

Very nice, you are well on your way and have obviously joined the ranks of the classic featherwing addicted.

For my tastes, I'd made the G.P. tippet underwing shorter and have it end between the herl butt and tinsel tip. I'd also make the G.P. tippet underwing less wide or tall so that it doesn't stick up higher than the married sections. I'd do this because it is a style of wing Price-Tannant Kelson, Hale, etc. used. One of the characteristics of this wing style with the G.P. tippet underwing is that the main married wing is mounted on top of and slightly covering the G.P. tippet underwing. The tippet underwing is nealy completely under the wing (which is why it is called an underwing) and is not as tall as the main married wing.

Also, for my tastes, I'd make the Indian Crow a little shorter stopping it so there is a small band of the dark portion of the jungle cock exposed below the eye of the feather.

1 More Cast
12-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Sean, nice fly. i am wondering are you using dyed turkey foe the wing?
1more

sean
12-14-2004, 10:10 PM
I still do not have a florican subsitute so the wing is not really complete. What you see there is peacock secondary which I just made a little wider to help balance it out since I was missing some materials to do the pattern as called for.

-sean

speydoc
12-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Sean
I am glad to see the madness is infective - nice fly!
speydoc