String leach intruder [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: String leach intruder

speydoc
12-12-2004, 07:30 PM
The next style of fly is a patern that I found Beau Purvis fishing on the Dean two summers ago.Beau originated the tie with a little bit of help from Mark McAneely, who suggested the rabbit strip wing based on Bob Hull's original string leach. The dumbell eyes and long flowing hackle of rhea came from Edd Ward's intruder - hence the name "String Leach Intruder", "SLI" for short!
This pattern is designed to be tied on a tube with a bait hook riding in a loop at the rear of the fly.
Most of Beau's flies have a rear hackle, often of dyed or plain turkey neck - I often omit this for ease of tying although the turkey looked realy great on Beau's flies!
The first fly to be posted is a Blue Moon SLI, with a rear hackle included.

speydoc
12-12-2004, 07:32 PM
The next fly is unnamed and serves to illustrate the use of dyed Amherst centre tail to "jazz up" the fly.
speydoc

speydoc
12-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Various dark SLI's - some of these have been fished, hence the bedraggled appearance.
speydoc

t_richerzhagen
12-12-2004, 07:44 PM
and instructions on how to rig the hook. They look like they would be great for dirty water conditions.

speydoc
12-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Pink combo SLI's
speydoc

speydoc
12-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Bright pink SLI's
speydoc

speydoc
12-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Ted
Dressing as follows:
Tube: HMH fresh water "cut to length" tube, about 1.25"
Tail hackle: optional - Beau used metalic turkey breast with white tips, often dyed. However any hackle, spey or otherwise will do.
Body: Gudebrod metalic (or holographic) braid, wrapped over superglue for durability - I will often wrap a batch and let them dry before completing the rest of the fly.One could also use any dubbed body for less flash.
Wing: rabbit or mink strip.Add in a few strands of krystal flash.
Hackle: rhea with an optional front of dyed Amherst center tail - keep it sparse.
Head: dumbell eyes.

For rigging look at the second fly I posted in Gillie's 16 Nov 2004 thread on "Tube flies"
speydoc

t_richerzhagen
12-12-2004, 10:46 PM
keep the loop from sliding up the tube to keep the correct spacing.

Also it appears that you tie the rabbit strip in only at the front. Is this correct?

speydoc
12-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Ted
Yes the rabbit is only tied in, in one place in front of the fly - this allows it to swing freely back and forth.
I use 15lb Maxima - this is thick enough that the knot in a nonslip loop knot will not pass through the inside of an HMH freshwater tube once you have heated the end to produce a lip (on either end of the tube). If you use finer leader material then a very small plastic bead might be place on the leader between the knot and the end of the tube as a buffer.
speydoc

juro
12-13-2004, 07:07 AM
As they say here in the northeast... WICKED!

I'll give them a try this spring in the cascades.

Charlie
12-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Very cool flies. I have been getting into tube flies more and more in the past few months myself. The bright ones should be good winter flies. As flytyer brought up on a previous thread, the unarticulated wing is something you don't see too much these days.

Charlie