More on Aquaculture [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: More on Aquaculture

kush
12-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Here is a letter from Rafe Mair to Gordon Campbell - the Premier of BC. Rafe is a famous radio personality who virtually single-handedly stopped Alcan's Kemano Completion Project that would likely have destroyed the Fraser River's salmon runs. He is an avid fly fisherman and has wielded some serious influence with the public.

It is lengthy, but very much worth the read if you want the poop on salmon farms
www.rafeonline.com/fish.shtml

OC
12-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks Kush,

A couple of questions for you or any of our BC brothers as I bet a lot of us down south are not all that familiar with the BC goverment.

Has the BC goverment always been conserative which I assume this one is? How many years has it been this way and what happened in BC to get a goverment like you have.

Who is doing the research in industries favor and very tainted, the BC goverment or the federal goverment? Has the federal goverment done any investigations on the bad science?

Sorry that I do not know more about your goverment, it is an American problem as you know, we just don't know much about other goverments.

I think we should demand that Rambo Fred Evens go back to BC. He could take on these guys one handed!

kush
12-09-2004, 12:24 PM
OC,

BC's present Gov't is conservative, its predecessor was left. I fear that the present Gov't will get a new mandate in this spring's election. BC gov'ts tend to swing back and forth between fairly extreme right and left positions - I've often mused that a good middle party would kick butt here.

As for government research, this is the problem there isn't really any, at least not any with credence in the scientific community. The 3 scientists interviewed were pretty clear about that. Government biologists with both levels of government are seriously hamstrung. There has been major reduction of scientists at both levels of gov't due to downsizing (it is funny that the bureaucrats seem to survive) and those that remain are on extremely short leashes. The political powers seem to think that aquaculture is some sort of holy cash cow and are determined that it succeed at any cost. If a gov't scientist wants to keep his job then he tows the line - period.