cortland spare spools? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: cortland spare spools?

fishingbum
12-05-2004, 12:27 AM
i have a Cortland Crown reel loaded with 6# SA Headstart line -- basic beginner's setup. i'm wondering, as i've lost the booklet, if this reel can take a spool of 3# line and if so, who sells these spools. they look like the Orvis reels. well, they look a lot like a lot of reels, actually. after looking at specs for reels in general, i kinda doubt i can use this for my 6# and future 3#, but i'm cheap and i'll ask anyhows. thanks.

zugbugz
02-02-2005, 10:00 PM
To find one, try Ebay, probably your best bet! Try contacting Cortland as well...they might be able to help with info and a spool. Just do a google search for Cortland Line Company. If there are no markings, measure the spool diameter and width and give this info plus the general appearance of the reel. Cortland reels were British made, except for some of the newest ones. Also, you can sometimes find these reels/spools in older, well established fly or fishing shops that have been around long enough to have sold older Cortland reels.

Zugbugz - Arizona :biggrin:

teflon_jones
02-03-2005, 07:16 AM
You can use the reel on a 3 wt rod, but it's probably going to be a bit off in balance because the reel is a bit big for that small a rod. But there's no harm in trying, so throw a 3 wt line on the reel and cast it for a day and see what you think!