Airflo Coldwater Clear Int Issues [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Airflo Coldwater Clear Int Issues

BigDave
12-03-2004, 11:50 AM
I bought an Airflo clear intermediate at one of the shows last year and have run into some problems with it. The line has developed hundreds of small kinks that no amount of stretching will straighten out just from sitting on the reel. This has killed the shootability of the line.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have only used the line for one season and taken very good care of it. Any one have experience with Airflo customer service?

TIA

Smcdermott
12-03-2004, 12:12 PM
I had one break when streching it. They replaced the line. I would send it back if you think its an issue with the line. Haven't experienced that problem with the line and fished with it for a few seasons.

Sean

jimS
12-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Dave, all flylines get twist from casting. This might cause your kink problem. Here is the recommended procedure to eliminate the problem. This is from Rio:

"If after many casts, you notice some twists in the fly line, make a long cast. Take the rod loosely at the stripping guide and with your other hand grip the butt. Quickly rotate the rod, letting the reel flip around and around (counter-clockwise for most right-handed anglers) 10 to 15 revolutions (Like straightening out a garden hose or a rope). Then shake out the line. This usually takes care of the twist. If it adds more twist, go the opposite way. This procedure may need to be repeated 2 or 3 times a day."

Simms

BigDave
12-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys,

Jim I've tried the Rio instructions but this is something else...the line is really kinked up bad. I cleaned, stretched and took it off he spool and it looks totally uncastable. It was nearly impossible to keep it coiled up enough to get it into a ziploc bag for the winter.

BTW - have you had luck using the Rio method? The only way I've been able to get twist all the way out is to cut the line off at the backing and slowly pull it through my thumb and index finger a bunch of times.

jimS
12-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Dave, it works if you pull a large loop of line out between the stripping guide and the butt. At the end of 10-15 revolutions, the line will be spiraled from the guide to the butt. Shake it out and you should be go to go. It could take more that 15-20 revolutions if it is really twisted.

The one thing most people don't do (I'm sure you do) especially on coldwater lines is to stretch it before casting. It is essential with the newer Rio lines.

If you don't get satisfaction from Airflo on your line problem, you might want to look at the Rio intermediate striper line. I've used it for several seasons with good success. Last year I started using the clouser taper intermediate and it is quite nice, but not clear - kinda liver-bile white, and the whole line glows in the dark when charged with a flashlight. Both lines load the rod ok (Sage RPLXi & Xi2)for short cast sightfishing, but I think I want to try uplining one weight next spring, but then you get a larger diameter and a bigger splash effect.

Simms

JimW
12-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I've the AirFlow line in a 9wt and love it, I've used it for a couple years now. I had the Cortland and had the same problem you describe, it twiseled up like a phone cord. I am not looking to trash cortland, they've stood behind their products in the past and I probably should have complained about it but the line was old and worn anyway. I am beginning to think that sometimes a bad batch of lines gets out the door and it can happen to any of the manufacturers, maybe someone took a long lunch and the plastic cooked to long, maybe they were sniffing the plastic and cooked themselves. :devil: Who knows... I've found that if you are not satisfied with a product the manufacturer will usually take care of it.

Let us know how you make out.

Penguin
12-03-2004, 01:56 PM
The other day I heard about your guides freezing up....YIKES! brrrrr!
Has this coiling problem started with the less than warm weather of late?
If so...I suspect a warmer water coating formula on the line may be the culprit...
I've got a few tropical floaters from Orvis and when it's cold, they coil BAD...So do I!
Stretching doesn't work...
I never did like the cold anyway and it's one more excuse for me to warm my candy buttisimo inside by the fire while you ManlyMen venture out into the confounding finger numbing elements...
May I suggest a trip to Islamorada for further field testing?!
...or at least, bring the offending line inside to strip n' stretch and see if warmth solves the problem....just a thought

BigDave
12-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Thx for the replies. I'll have to give the Rio method another shot. I totally agree that some batches of lines aren't up to snuff. I had major problems with one of my trout lines...on the 2nd replacement they sent me a "good one" which has been great since.

Pete I was icing up while trout fishing, not stripers. But maybe I should take the airflo out to the Swift this weekend...throw some sz 28 midges on 8x with the 10wt line...it might scare them into taking!!! :hihi:

jfbasser
12-03-2004, 02:58 PM
I posted some time ago about stretching Airflo's..Here is an update

"One word of caution: Airflo Hi-Sense lines, which offer very limited stretch as opposed to their Traditional Stretch lines and those manufactured by other companies, should not be stretched in an attempt to remove any curls which might occur. In fact, trying to stretch them will put a pigtail or corkscrew set in them which cannot be removed."

Quentin
12-03-2004, 06:18 PM
I posted some time ago about stretching Airflo's..Here is an update

"One word of caution: Airflo Hi-Sense lines, which offer very limited stretch as opposed to their Traditional Stretch lines and those manufactured by other companies, should not be stretched in an attempt to remove any curls which might occur. In fact, trying to stretch them will put a pigtail or corkscrew set in them which cannot be removed."

Umm . . . what about trying to pull in a large fish?? Or breaking off a snag while using a 20# test leader? Does that ruin the line? Very odd.

Q

Striper
12-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Umm . . . what about trying to pull in a large fish?? Or breaking off a snag while using a 20# test leader? Does that ruin the line? Very odd.

That was my thought Q???? Sounds to me Dave like you have a case of the over stretch the line acquire pigtail-itis syndrome. Doesn't make sense to me but who knows. I have a couple of Airflo clears and have not had any issues with them and I have not taken them off the reel in 2 years :tsk_tsk: Used them on the Albies this fall and other than being a bit coiled they worked fine and after a few minutes of casting they became well behaved fly lines again. I have stretched my Airflos to death against advice and not had problems. Dave pack it up and ship it back they will gladly send you another one I am certain.

Capt. Mike

flysully
12-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Big Dave: My fishing buddy and I have been using the Airflo clear Int. line for at least 3 years in the salt for stripers, albies, etc. and we don't have any problems with kinking, coiling or whatever in this cold weather. Although I don't have any idea WHY you'd be having this problem, I can assure you, from years of flyfishing with this line in 30 degree and even minus temps, that this line does perform without kinks. Here's a suggestion from a fellow flyfishing regarding our SciAng Tarpon Taper line which wasn't a cold saltwater line but it still worked so try it: Clip off your fly. Cast the line twice without that fly on it. It removes the twist that the schoolies put on it. Then tie on your new fly and cast as usual. Let me know how it works. I think you'll be surprised.

jfbasser
12-03-2004, 07:31 PM
I would presume that stretching a short segment would apply more force to that segment of the line than fighting a fish with a rod or straightlining a longer segment. Hence the manufacturers recomendation. I would ask for some feedback from Airflo when you send them the line and then make a post. Like Flysully, I occasionally cast without flies and I have not have trouble with mine and I follow the reco regarding stretching.

flysully
12-03-2004, 07:34 PM
I don't find a need to ever stretch the Airflo CSW intermediate line even at the beginning of the season. This line just never coils and that is its beauty. If your line IS coiling, there has to be another problem, maybe your own personal casting technique? Everyone I meet on the beach using this line is a happy flyfisher!

FishHawk
12-04-2004, 08:12 AM
I take my lines off the reels at the end of each season and put them on a used CD case shaped like a large cone. This helps prevent tangles. I have noticed that my AirFlo has small kinks near the backing end of the line. Perhaps your spool capacity is too small for the line. Mine is and I make it work but I get small kinks but it hasn't effected my casting of the line because the kinks are near the rear end of the line. FishHawk :)

Quentin
12-04-2004, 01:09 PM
. . . The line has developed hundreds of small kinks that no amount of stretching will straighten out just from sitting on the reel. . . .

Dave: If I'm interpreting this correctly you're saying that the line is kinked, not just twisted or coiled. That is, if you were to remove the line from the reel, allow the line to untwist, and then lay it out flat, the line would still have tiny kinks or ripples rather than being smooth. Is that the case?

If so, maybe the core is twisted within the coating. Or maybe the core and coating have different "recovery" characteristics after being stretched, and one part of the line (core or coating) is exerting force on the other. Or maybe the line is just crimped from being spooled tightly over itself, especially if the line underneath is not spooled as tightly.

Sorry, I don't have any solutions. I'm just trying to clarify the problem.

Many of the preceding suggestions seek to prevent or remove line twist, which, while helpful, would not seem to solve your problem although they might help prevent it from happening again with a new line.

Q

jimS
12-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Dave, I'm not sure about Airflo, but if it has a monofilament core of kevlar (no stretch) and the outer coating separates from the core, that may be your problem. Outer coating stretches and when it contracts it traps the inner core and kinks occur?

Simms

Arthur Robert
12-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Does anyone out there have the address for AirFlo as I need to write then. I have used the Airflo Clear Int this past fall. I"ve used it about 25 times with no problems of twisting or kinking. I do have issues with the braided momo connector they supply with the line.

jfbasser
12-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Rajeff Sports is the US distributor.. State of Washington I believe

JimW
12-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Rajeff Sports is a sponsor. You can find them on the sponsors page.
Here (http://flyfishingforum.com/advertising/sponsorlist.htm)

FishHawk
12-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Dave take the line back to where you bought it and they should give you a new one no questions asked. However, it all depends on the flyshop. My flyshop did not want to deal with a replacement , so I mailed it back to AirFlo in the UK and got a new line back in the mail. The address is on the package that comes with the line. FishHawk

BigDave
12-06-2004, 09:21 AM
For the suggestions.

Arthur Robert
12-06-2004, 07:10 PM
I tossed the package that the AirFlo came in. I did save the end panel with the Imfo about the line. I still need the address of Air flo.

JimW
12-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Check out This Link (http://www.rajeffsports.com/) You'll see the address at the bottom of the page in small print. If I am correct, these guys are the US distributors for AirFlo, I'd give them a call before sending the line to be certain it's the correct shipping address.