HookUpHerring... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: HookUpHerring...

Penguin
12-01-2004, 09:19 PM
A Capt Stan inspired fuzzy notion that I've been mulling over...
The Area 61 "Bunker" (as in distraction free, safe place, not the bait fish) is warm and well stocked...
Playing around with the new Cam Lever Nor-Vise jaws...SWEET!
ONLY 5 more months until a certain herring run buffet opens...

(I hope this gets past Quality Control...)

FishHawk
12-02-2004, 07:58 AM
Don't know Penguin the first Fly looks like it has a Victoria's Secret undergarment on ! :chuckle: :chuckle: FishHawk

Well I saved my 1000 post to answer this question. :lildevl:

BigDave
12-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Nice tie Pete.

What kind of hook is that?

Penguin
12-02-2004, 10:57 AM
A better (IMHO) bend-back alternative...
Forces exerted during the hook set are directly alligned (perpendicular) with the very sharp pointy end!
No deminished energy vector deflection?! :confused:
The 5/0 Offset Shank Worm (extra Wide Gap) by Gamakatsu has a slightly wider gap than the Owner 5/0 Rig'N Hook...
Gama is a bit lighter and springier...Owner slightly stouter and very HD rigid...
Both allow the easy body braid to be secured to the shank...pheathers, phur, and phlash...large eye epoxied in place...and (thanks to the design and wide gap) there is still plenty of stealthy lethal point artfully hidden and ready to drive home when the time is right...
The feathers take a beating during the phracas...you wanna' dance, you gotta' pay d' band!

Bill...
You're 1000th post Victoria Secret insight was profound...you hit the nail on the head...provocative...perhaps mildly suggestive...but still rated PG...
I am always "inspired" while lingering at that particular mall store front...
Trying to design a desireable sexy phish phly is always on my agenda!
BTW...You could probably benefit from "able to dispense medications" psycho therapy...'been there, 'done that, got the t-shirt. :confused:
We're on the same page and frequency?! Seek help before you get "censored"... :wink:

jfbasser
12-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Pete et al, try the "superline" version of the Gami for less "spring". Wire size of the Owner with the Gami bend. Available at your local Bassmasters outlet and prominently displayed in their window.

flats
12-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Looks good. I'd just put alot more herl on it, stuff breaks off where epoxy contacts it. Actually the peacock herl just ends up looking like seaweed and I don't use it as a top wing any more. I've been using a nice clump of peacock colored angel hair, moves nice in the water (1/8 inch dia.bunch)

MCorder
12-03-2004, 06:59 AM
I like the bend in that hood, allot better than the standard worm hook most are using down here for reds.

jimS
12-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Pete, Nice concept with the worm hooks for strip-set. If the Gama hook is off-set, will it track straight? I presume since it is light wire, it should?

Keep the creative juices flowing!

Simms

saltydog
12-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Penguin, SWEET! :smokin:

AdrianV
12-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Are the hooks you used stainless? I couldn't read it from the picture.
I'm looking for light up-side-down sandeel patterns, where the hooks should be as weedless as possible, preferable covered by the fly completely. Such a keel typed hook should do fine.
AdrianV

Penguin
12-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Here are some hook-up fuzzy notions I've been playing with since last Spring...
Mostly stainless (except for the big one)...and tyed sparse did the trick...
Veryvery good to me last season...
I'm going to start using the Owner hooks for most everthing I tye with the hook up...except for the real small lances and silversides...(if it's not broken, don't fix it?!...prototypes not withstanding)
The 2/0 hooks shown below are light, sharp, and well suited for this exercise...5/0 for the larger stuff...flat (not offset)...
They seem to lend themselves to the hook-up application (plenty of gap and VERY sharp) and the keel effect is noteworthy, but they should be rinsed after the salt (san stainless)...
In the meantime...If you use "regular" hooks, be sure to leave plenty of gap...
If you can't get your finger through the gap, chances are, fish lips will escape the point!