Santa List [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Santa List

Paxton
11-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Sad.....obviously the season is over, no posts on fishing for 6 days :(
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
So, in the absense of fish catching, fish stories, I will start a Santa Wish List.
My daughter and wife brought me to a Flyfishing store yesterday and made a purchase of a pair of Patagonia light weight wading shoes. I got to fondle them a bit before they were boxed and hidden till 12/25.
One of the nice things about being 59, is that by the 25th, it will again be a surprise :hihi:
Am going back to the stocking foot/wading shoe combo......boot foots were very heavy and given the extent of walking I do on the flats, the boots started to crack and breakdown and leak....so I will live with the occasional sand pile in the boot.
So....make your Santa Wishes known...give your significant others the addresss of this site and then, maybe you too will have a surprise on the 25th. :)
Ron

Striper
11-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey Pax,
I have been using a pair of Orvis Neoprenes (guide model) they are very thick 5 mm. but they have been great waders when they didn't leak :mad: . The nice thing about them is that they have sewen in gravel guards and I have never had the problem of sand infiltrating the inner boots, they are stocking foot waders and I use Orvis wading boots. They work like a charm keeping the sand and debris out. Just a thought.

Capt. Mike

Moose
11-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Enough cash to buy all the stuff on my wish list! :(

juro
11-28-2004, 03:26 PM
A guilt free airline ticket for the first segment of the ridiculous clave voyage, or even just the "guilt-free" :cool:

Paxton
11-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks Capt. Mike,
I plan on getting a pair of stocking foot waders with the sewn in gravel guard. I will be exchanging my current LLBean boot foots......they have a no questions asked return and exchange policy and given the 1 lb of patch compound I have on my present boots, there definitely won't be any questions. The Bean waders (material part) never leaked, but the rubba boots kept on cracking at the seams and elseware from walkin the flats. If they were stocking foots, they'd have no problem. Someday, some company will make some specialty waders (wader/flats boots-one piece) for us flats guys....that would be the best in my opinion.

jimS
11-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Ron, while I'm like everyone else, the list is endless, but the real need now is a new pair of Simms Guiide Weight waders. Three years old, and they are beyond repair, according to their customer rep. I had the neoprene feet replaced last winter. The main area of rough use was between the thighs. Great waders and comfortable, but after a couple hundred miles of flat fishing, I guess I can't complain.

I have looked at the G3 model of Simms, but am not sure I need all the bells and whistles associated with them, e.g. gravel guards, flip out pouches, handwarmers, etc. Besides, I don't like the color. Picky, picky, picky...

Any thoughts on a decision between the two? My wife is very gracious at Christmas, but there is a secondary list of items that I could use, but not need, i.e. spey rod and required reel, or how about a flats boat?

Actually, I'm like Juro, plane tickets rock!

Simms

Paxton
11-28-2004, 07:54 PM
What?????!!!!..... The Simms G3 Model does not have a built in GPS, water supply, snack pouch, tying vise with miniture pedestal and a cathater to end those runs to the shore grass? What were they thinking?! :D
I do like the LLBean waders...boots aside, they held up fine, but a 'Simms' has to buy "Simms"....at our ages, remembering one's name can be a challenge....now if there was only a company named Paxton....I would be safe fishing alone :)
Seriously Jim, best of luck to you and others on your winter bonefishing trip. I was considering going initially, but I got a short term consulting job that will take up much of the winter and early spring (not May/June of course). Too good to pass up and will allow me to buy more FF toys and pay for longer stays on the Cape.
Ron

fishingd0
11-29-2004, 04:45 AM
The ultimate!

"How to catch salmon", written by Salmo Salar :chuckle:

FishHawk
11-29-2004, 05:35 AM
A new vest like the Ironman has for me plus some software for my new GPS. Will start saving my money and perhaps next year will be able to make the Bonefish Clave. FishHawk :D

Paxton
11-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Fishhawk.....a GPS....that brings me to another question to ponder: why is it that I can remember every single spot/location I caught a fish AND not be able to remember to bring home milk, bread and eggs?
Would like to see the GPS in action some day....like Monomoy :-)

Dble Haul
11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
More fishing time, please! :D

FredA
11-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Ditto what Mark said.

Also looking at:

A wader upgrade
Maybe a new 8 wgt for the Bonefish clave and for all those small stripers I catch.

jfbasser
11-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Fred, I think I know where there might be a good deal on a new bonefish rod :biggrin:

Paxton
11-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Pete....I said "Santa List", not Satan :D
Now I'm depressed that I only asked for wading boots! God...I'm getting old!!!!
Ron

FlyFishMich
11-29-2004, 11:28 PM
How about for Simms to start making neoprene waders again? My current pair has seen the boots replaced two times but nary a problem with the neoprene itself, other than its cold and clammy from standing in a cold river all day long :hihi: The boots are shot but I have plenty of Aquaseal holding them together. Maybe Santa can just bring me more Aquaseal?

I just tried to buy a new pair of neoprenes but they are going back because the seam between the boot and the neoprene upper caused severe bruising to the inside of my calves :mad: ...OUCH!!! :( I ended up having them send me a pair of their bootfoot breathables, which I am sure will result in hypothermia :eek: I guess I will just have to layer up with lots of flammable plastic fibers...kudos to Malden Mills. Santa, in addition to the Aquaseal, can you send some really warm socks? I will need them to go with my uninsulated boots. Thanks!

FishHawk
11-30-2004, 05:35 AM
Simms makes neoprene bootfoot waders. I have breathable boot foot waders that I got from a local fly shop on the Cape. They told me that they were their best selling waders and had had no problems with them. So far I have found this to be true after a season of flats wading. We let you know how they stand up. For me the hassle of the stocking foot wader for use in the salt is requires too much maintenance. Just my experience with my patircular waders. What I have found out is ask the local flyshop about equipment and they know what's best for their area. Just my .02 FishHawk :D

jfbasser
11-30-2004, 08:37 AM
For those warm days on the flats a good alternative to "invisible" waders would be waist highs. Protection from the chill on the legs and a little more freedom of arm movement.

FlyFishMich
11-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Simms makes neoprene bootfoot waders.

I believe that should read: Simms USED to make neoprene bootfoot waders.

Striper
11-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Sorry if I offended anyone or over stepped the thread bounds with my bikini post, wasn't meant to be offensive. Just a little end of season hy-jinks that probably should have been kept to myself I do apologize to all. Won't happen again!

Capt. Mike

flyfreak
12-04-2004, 05:24 PM
JimS - I got a pair of Patagonia SST waders this year, from the Ipswich Bay Fly Fishing Derby silent auction. I couldn't be happier...not to mention the lifetime warranty you won't get with Simms ....the waders have a built in suspender system, which makes it great for taking a leak when your all bundled up...a nice simple chest pocket, built in gravel guards...a nice mesh bag to keeop them in, and a built in belt with belt loops. The best IMHO.

jimS
12-04-2004, 07:36 PM
ff, thanks for the info. I'll take it under consideration. Patagonia has a great reputation for their gear.

Simms