Chatham fish? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham fish?

OC
11-23-2004, 09:39 AM
With all the action reports further southwest on stripers anyone checking out the south Cape and Chatham?

Was lucky enough to spend 5 days in Harwich on an early Thanksgiven. Went for a run along the sand spit that starts at Chatham light and goes south. Sorry I am no longer familiar with any of the area it has changed so much from 30 years ago.
Last Saturday just about a half mile down the beach on the out going morning tide, 0930 or so there was a lot of action an would have been within casting distance for someone with waders on. They were not big fish but they were not 16 inchers either. When I got back from my run there was a boat fishing gear at the mouth of the bay. I checked it out with the 25 cent glasses but did not see them catch anything before I ran out of quaters.

My question is what is the latest any of you locals have caught fish in that area on a fly or gear in the past. I remember stories of fish being taken into December but never thought they were true. You all have such a beautiful area to live and my girlfriend has decided we will have our wedding in Harwich at her moms house in June. It will be a fishing wedding for sure.

striblue
11-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Two years ago...just below where you were at the pay binoculars, I was catching small school bass on about November 7 or 8th....

juro
11-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Congrats OC!

The Nor'easter locals will have to hold a proper bachelcor party on the local bassin' grounds for ya!

Best regards,
Juro

BTW - you were here and no phone call?

OC
11-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Sorry Juro, You must know how these family vacations are, not much time for outside activity. We spent a lot of the 5 days in the kitchen cooking and guess what, an extra 5 pounds at the end of the week. I thought I might run into someone from flytalk like striblue walking the beach taking pictures or just enjoying the November air. In June it will be different.

Couple more questions. What bait is still around at this time of year and what is the water temp now? Cant be below 50 can it. Also spent one night on MV and on the ferry ride into Woods Hole there were birds working hard off of Falmouth and three boats fishing in area. It amazes me there are still fish around and that there are such die hards who are willing to chase the very last fish.

FredA
11-23-2004, 12:47 PM
I walked down South Beach a couple of weeks ago (flyrod in hand). Word was that a lot of small fish were around. Hustle down the beach after some excited birds but by the time I got to the spot whatever was going on was gone.

Lots of reports of small fish being taken around the Cape. Has anyone heard of biguns' being caught on the outer beaches?

Pretty good timing to have to come to the Cape to get married...or not. Hopefully the bride has great tolerance for your addiction.

OC
11-23-2004, 04:11 PM
No problems there Fred, It took me 53 years to find the right one. She does not fish but fully understands. What do you think, last week of June the perfect week?
The Flats, the flats, the flats.

FredA
11-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Last week in June's my favorite. Might have a shot at more bigger fish earliar in the month if you hit the weather cycle right but the weather settles in towards the end of the month and things are more consistent, IMHO.