Shad Pattern? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shad Pattern?

fishinfool
11-16-2004, 08:08 AM
I am fishing a lake where the shad are now the predominate food species. I have tried a few things to entice them but there are times when the fish are smashing the shad and I can't get a strike no matter what I do. Anyone have a pattern that seems to work most of the time in these situations. Thanks in advance.

Dble Haul
11-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Are these fish feeding on top, in the middle of the water column, or on bottom?

From what you've described ("smashing the shad"), it sounds like they're hit them on top. If that's the case, then a crease fly of the appropriate color does quite well. Skipping bugs and pencil poppers also do the job, but the crease is pretty tough to beat.

fishinfool
11-17-2004, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the prompt response. I got a new issue of Fly Tyer yesterday and it had an article on the Crease fly. Will get some materials and tie some up. Most of the fish seem to be busting on the surface, we see a lot of the fishes body when they feed. I have been tying a semi-deceiver that works well some of the time but gets ignored in bright conditions. Will let you know how it works out.

Dble Haul
11-17-2004, 07:49 AM
I received the same issue in the mail yesterday, and the article is great for step by step construction of the fly.

Have fun. :)