Classic for fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Classic for fishing

flytyer
11-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Since winter steelhead is almost upon us, I thought I'd post one of Kelson's classics, the "Floodtide". It is one of several Kelson classics I've found effective for winter/spring steelhead. Yes, before someone asks, I fish the blind eye flies and form the eye loop out of 20# braided mono.

striblue
11-12-2004, 07:33 PM
I was just curious if you knew anyone who knew of some "old Timers" who "might" have used a fly rod in saltwater and for the lack of saltwater flies per se, may have used these colorful salmon patterns as the flies they 'May" have used... and which ones.... really "fishing" here.

flytyer
11-12-2004, 09:25 PM
John,

I don't have a clue, but I do like your fishing expedition.

jimandre
11-13-2004, 10:39 AM
I too fish full dressed classics for fall steel,I do use silk gut eyes, have you ever had them brake?
This year like last I will fish them fully dressed with bustard,crow,chatterer,toucan and silk gut........the fish are worthy!

flytyer
11-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Jim,

I've never had one of the braided mono eyes break or slip on the hook, which is one of the reasons I use 20# clear braided mono. I use braided mono unstead of gut because it doesn't have to be soaked to avoid brittleness. It is nice to see there are some other "fanatics" out there like myself who tie and fish classics on blind eye hooks.

Charlie
11-15-2004, 03:16 PM
flytyer,

I took your advise from an earlier post and got me some braided mono, and I must say it is good stuff. Haven't had a chance to make a lot of flies with it yet but the ones I did make have been working well.

Thanks, Charlie.

P.S. Love that Floodtide!

flytyer
11-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Charlie,

Thanks for the kind word.

By the way, I always like seeing your very well-tied flies.