: Cool albie pic from NC

capt_gordon
11-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Got this shot Saturday. Thought some folks would like it:
http://www.flyfish-nc.com/110604albie.jpg

Penguin
11-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Nice pic!...
I can't get over the engineering!...hard to improve on "perfection"!
That's a curious profile...a bit of an up-turned snoot?!

Here's one from Harker's 2003...

FishHawk
11-08-2004, 11:51 AM
One of these years I'll make down there. Weather is always a wild card.
FishHawk :D

Striper
11-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Capt. G,
It must be that time of the year because you are killing me again. Like Fishawk stated one of these years? What fly is that dangling from the fishes mouth? Looks like maybe a gummie something???

Mike M.

capt_gordon
11-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Mike,
Dirty Sanchez. Started out as a joke name but then it stuck. Here is a pic of it (the little tan and white one):
http://www.flyfish-nc.com/rainbaitflies2.jpg

TimSt
11-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Just got back from a quick 2 1/2 day shore trip down there--beautiful place with lots to see. Albie fishing could have been better for me (got the skunk), but the group I was with (and who's still down there) got a few so far. Tough past couple of days with 25+ kt wind right in your face. Sunday we saw good action (but never where I was standing, which proved critical-not much caught blindcasting), and an all-out blitz when we were departing on the ferry in the afternoon (VERY painful to watch). Monday and Tuesday brought just onesie-twosies of fish strafing the bait maybe once every hour, making it very difficult to get a cast off in the wind, and lots of down time between fish appearances. A couple of guys with spinning rods were able to land a few fish, though. One fly guy who's been skunked there for the last 3 years got his first albie (ever) on Monday--that was really cool, since I think it was the only fly-caught albie landed on Monday.

The wind down there is supposed to lay down today; hopefully my buddies will get into them good for the rest of the week.

Two tips if anyone makes the trip there for shore fishing (airfare and lodging are very cheap right now): space is much more limited on the spit than I thought (room for maybe a dozen flyfishermen between sandbars, tops). This isn't to say that the fish don't run elsewhere on the beach (saw other pods moving along the dropoff that lines the east side of the spit), but be prepared to be elbow-to-elbow if you don't want to explore. Also, since I'm a newbie at the game down there, not sure if it was the norm or not, but other guys fishing the shore can be very aggressive, standing in your hip pocket and casting over your line. Maybe it was just the guys that were there at the time, but it took away from the enjoyment a bit. If you moved to grab a sandwich, you lost your spot. Overall, the experience was still great; got to see some albies and got to spend some time away from work with great company.

ScottP
11-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Tim,

First time we fished Cape Lookout in '97 we spent our first day on the beach. We lucked out - perfect conditions (overcast, cool, but not too windy), not too crowded (not like the Student Body Left mob scene you hit), the fish were close and active, and we all caught fish. Went out with a guide the next day, rented a boat for the day after that and back to the beach for the last day (where we were skunked in a most emphatic way while the boat people scored all around us). Although it was very cool to hook them from shore, using a boat gave us a lot more options, like chasing trawlers, and although it does seem that there are more boats out there than cars in a mall parking lot at Christmas, you can always find some space. Last time we were there, in 2002, price for a 21' center console was about $180/day plus gas - split that 3 ways and it's a bargain. Hope you get the chance to go back again and hook up with one of those critters; they really are a blast to catch.

Regards,
Scott P.

TimSt
11-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Scott,
I'm not really disappointed in the results of my trip; I've had a great year for albies this year in RI--I just wanted to experience what's been written about NC, and maybe see one of those super-sized albies that come out of those waters. I fully realized that by taking such a short trip I was putting myself in a tough position if the weather and/or fish didn't cooperate. But, the opportunity to see the place first-hand popped up at the last minute, and I jumped at the chance.

I agree about the boat opening up many more possibilities; if I have the time and inclination next year, I'll bring my own boat down. From my (limited) observations from the beach, the boats seemed pretty well-behaved down there compared to up here; I saw single boats on pods of fish that would've attracted everything within sight in NE, but the other boats seemed to stay out of each other's way looking for their own fish.