Die hard, Chapter One [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Die hard, Chapter One

Paxton
11-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Given the winds this weekend, I am going to give the Cape a go tomorrow. Up at 4 a.m....2 1/2 hr drive. Planning at starting in Sandwich, if nothing....Hardings. Winds are "supposed" to die down tomorrow. Plan on arriving around 7:20ish......if anyone has any better ideas of where to go, it would be much appreciated. Anticipating a shunk, but better than raking leaves. Company welcomed!
Ron

jimS
11-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Ron, while bird hunting today, got a voice mail from a buddy fishing the bay side. He has done well by moving and observing birds/blitzies. Sandwich is a good starting point. If nothing going on, move east and hit spots all the way to Brewster Flats. The migration is in full swing from Plymouth heading south.

Don't know what the tides are for tomorrow, but if the bay side isn't happening, the backside is worth a look at several locations, and then the southside.

Good luck, and let us know the results.

Simms

Paxton
11-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks Jim...will let you know. I was planning on hitting Brewster....drive and shoot :-) Low tomorrow is around 10 a.m.....plan of hitting every creek I can find
:-)

Paxton
11-05-2004, 06:43 AM
Arrived yesterday at 6;45 a.m.. Started at Sandwich and worked my way up the coast on the bay side. Stopped on 4 different beaches/creeks.....saw only one brief assault on bait by stripers that lasted a whole 30 seconds. For the day, picked up only 5 schoolies blind casting to fishy looking spots. Fish were preschoolers to first graders in size....but fish are fish! Wind wasn't bad but don't think it ever got over 45 degrees. Was fun to get out and extend the season. Bumped into a few other die hards.....they reported sporatic fishing the last week...very hit or miss....some keepers mixed in. None of them had seen any blitzes or assaults by birds, results were via blind casting. Only results yesterday occurred in the window of 1 hr before the high to 2 hrs into the dropping. Will try again next week if the wind ever stops howling. The end is obviously close, but the big ones have to swim by eventually, unless they got preferred rates on Jet Blue :hihi:
Ron

FishHawk
11-05-2004, 07:08 AM
You earned those fish. My hats off to you. FishHawk :smokin:

bonefishmon
11-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Ron. The Rhode Island beaches are worth a shot. Things have not really heated up the last few days with this wind but I think the big push here is delayed. The Gannets birds have not shown yet and the water is still 55 degrees. Lots of schoolies last week so their bigger relatives should be swinging through soon. Supposed to hit 62 degrees on Sunday but SW at 15-20 knots. Afterall, it is November, the windy month!

Phil

Paxton
11-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks Phil. My original plan was to hit RI again, but the S wind would have made it next to impossible. So I opted for the Cape......can always go coast to coast there. :-) Will keep it in mind, do want another shot at the Cape however first, then RI for the finish of my season, but wind will determine everything.
Ron

Striper
11-06-2004, 08:45 PM
South wind + R.I. + Fall Migration = Do Not Miss!!! Even if flyfishing the fish will be right in the wash if they decide to show up for the party.

Mike M.

bonefishmon
11-08-2004, 06:43 AM
They showed on Sunday bigtime! Weekapaug to Watch Hill but it was run and gun in the car keeping up with the birds. No large fish sighted yet.

Phil

Dble Haul
11-08-2004, 08:09 AM
South wind + R.I. + Fall Migration = Do Not Miss!!! Even if flyfishing the fish will be right in the wash if they decide to show up for the party.

Mike M.

Mike, how prophetic! :wink:

Bert and I fished hard at Central and Fire District beaches (just east of where you were, bonefishmon) and were occupied with schoolies for most of the day. None of them were more than 50 feet off the beach, which was good news since the wind was from the southwest at about 18mph.

There were some bigger fish around chasing corn cob sized mullet, but we didn't connect. But with temperatures in the low 60s in early November, I'm not one to complain too much. :)