Spey tactics on Champlain Tribs [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spey tactics on Champlain Tribs

Shaq
11-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Has anyone used spey tactics, whether it be flies on single handed rods or small spey rods and flies to target landlocks on Lake Champlain Tribs? I have done a small amount with some success. Just wondering and curious for some input on sink tips, flies ect? Thanks

Geoff

dewey
11-08-2004, 04:03 PM
No spey techniques for me so far, but I'd be interested in swapping info with another Champlain fisher. I am on the VT side. How has your fall been?

juro
11-09-2004, 07:05 AM
I've used Spey casts to cover small LLS streams in New England with success. Mostly using floating lines, but any line can be converted into a sinktip for swinging flies by replacing approx 15' of the front taper with a (roughly) matching section of hi-density flyline -or- use a polyleader but be aware that heavy things after the fine floating tippet are not great for casting.

Any singlehand rod can spey cast well with practice, but for medium / large rivers one of the newer 5/6wt spey rods is the ticket.

Good flies approximate smelt in this area, for salmon go with attractors or imitate the forage species IMHO.

Shaq
11-09-2004, 10:10 AM
hit one of the New York side streams on Champlain this weekend, water temp dropped 8 degrees in one week due to snow falls in the high peaks, turned the fish off I guess because I got no hits. Tried a 9 1/2 foot six weight with all sorts of flies from Mickey Finns to traditional spey flies to egg patterns