Election Day Bass [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Election Day Bass

Bonito Bob
11-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Here in S. Maine, the water temperature this morning was steady at 50.0. Air was 34 and it felt every degree of that when I headed out in the dark for a shot at the rocks off the York coast. Thank goodness that wind report was true and the wind was nil. Got out between York and the Piscataqua and started working along the rocks. I think I'm the last guy trying to fly rod bass around these parts as far as I can tell. 1 1/2 hours of chucking and I was thinking that it was going to be a total bust when....you guessed it. Wham. Bass - 22". OK, I know it's not the size but, heck, one election day bass is good enough for me around here. :D Managed to see a lot of birds working around the mouth of the Piscataqua. Hooked a few larger mackerel and I'm sure they were feeding on small peanut bunker.

I think the bait situation is getting low here, because as soon as a flash of bait would erupt on the surface, the entire Maine population of seagulls and cormorants would converge and fight like crazy over what seemed to be a few little bits of bait. I headed in for what I think will be my last outing in these waters until spring. It was a good season of learning. Hopefully guys in RI/CT will push it out for a couple more tries. I'm not sure but I would guess that bass in Maine take weeks to get to RI/CT so unless the one I got today was caught in a fish ladder or something, there are a lot of fish between us and lots more action to come in November for RI.

Best - Bob

Penguin
11-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Dennis/da Cape/Phreds (Cold Storage) Beach...
Wind at my back...
Almost High tide and flat as Kansas...
Some gulls and the occassional high diving Northern Gannet...
Numerous Striped Twinkies to the mid-20"s...
'Would have been sweet on a 5 wt!
Lucy Lu Poochbelly...quite perplexed but eager to supervise the C&R...
Phat Lady could be heard warming up in the distance!?

FredA
11-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Pete
No names please. Down by the rocks or over by the jetty? Mid 20's is a hog relative to what I've been catching this year. More fish, less fun.

May have to take a look Saturday am, but suspect the wind will be outta the wrong direction. Probably fool around in the river at the top of the tide.

Got my first canal striper Friday while fishin with basser then went to a beach north of the canal. Lots of peanuts and twinkie blitzes in the wash. Looked promising but nuthin nice showed up.

Penguin
11-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Scattered/transitory slurps and tails from the beach entrance to da rocks...
Small packs of striped twinkies stealthfully pillaging the shallows...
Started while Lucy Lu and I were jogging/beach combing...
'Had to run back to the small grey recon vehicle (SGRV) for gear...
The wind may be your/our undoing!?
Nothing much happening on the south side/Bass River...
Hope springs eternal!

grego
11-03-2004, 08:28 AM
My Dad is still Catching Twinkey Bass in Upprer B-Bay Estuaries.

6wt w/ a sinktip line, & upsidedown clousers, that's the ticket!

striblue
11-03-2004, 09:43 AM
I will be down in Chatham Thursday night and may try off hardings or Ridgevale Friday morning.

FredA
11-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Looking at Greg's weather forcast and intellicast Friday looks a bit extreme in terms of wind and rain. Manageble west wind on Saturday may require one last sunrise and stroll down South Beach. Don't think I'll wet wade though.

Striper
11-05-2004, 04:08 PM
What is an upside down clouser??? I thought they were all upside down :D

Penguin
11-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Australia?!

Striper
11-05-2004, 08:23 PM
:hihi: :D