MA trout report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: MA trout report

BigDave
11-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Fished 2 MA rivers this weekend: Nis and Swift.

Nis was challenging as always with low flows. Had a stretch of the river all to myself on Sat. Beautiful foliage against the dark sky. The fish were active and I had a steady pick of fish in various cuts and riffes. Yanked a couple of holdover rainbows out of deadfall that were almost black in color.

Swift sunday got off to a bad start. I got there late and it was extremely crowded. Not a single parking space at the Rt 9 bridge lot. Found parking and made my way up river to an area that is not as heavily pressured. The wild brookies have migrated upstream and there are hundreds of them. Incredible fall colors on these fish. The big rainbows were around too and receptive to a variety of flies.

If you go pls use barbless hooks on these wild fish and avoid walking through their redds. It's fall fishing at it's finest!

talented_willie
11-01-2004, 02:12 PM
barbless?? Don't forget your bandana D...

That last line sounded like you stole it right out of WG's bag!

All things being equal, I wish I had been there. Did you go alone? Speaking of WG, his latest email newsletter says the Deerfield is fishing well these days. You need to get up into the Mohawk when you get back from the B! Tell Paul I said "yo".

honey stang

DEERHAAWK
11-01-2004, 02:55 PM
I must say,
The N.W. had a great summer, But the fall just fell apart :confused: The last good session for me was Labor Day Weekend. We had alot of early winter weather ("R" word) this year. That coupled with good Salmon runs I think put alot of food in the water system, and damn it! they just weren't bitin. The regular season is over now, but I will be consentrating on the rivers that are open year'ound and stillwater action. And there is always next season! :biggrin:
Deerhawk

Poogs
11-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks man found that interesting, thanks again. I might try these this summer.

John Desjardins
11-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Dave that sounds much better than my weekend spent at work :(.