Oct 30 & 31 RI/CT - Still couldn't connect [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Oct 30 & 31 RI/CT - Still couldn't connect

Quentin
10-31-2004, 08:47 PM
Well, I put a lot of miles on my car and my legs without much success. Had to settle for schoolies and shad at sundown to avoid the skunk. Hope you guys did better than I did!

Q

Adrian
11-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Q

At least you made it out - I looked at the weather forecast and decided to pass given the wind prediction.

After last week-end, it's a long way to drive to not even make a cast. :roll:

bonefishmon
11-01-2004, 06:25 AM
I hit all of my favorite spots on Saturday morning late. Nothing going on at Napatree or the light house. Birds were working way out off Weekapaug. Headed over to Quonny beaches. Loads of schoolies still around, all tiny. Birds came in close. The old timers are really upset about all the small fish. With some luck the big boys will arrive soon if they don't all make the turn around Block and Montauk. With sunrise coming on earlier this week I'll make a few attempts before work and keep all informed. No activity from the birds at the mouth of the Mystic River here in Ct.. Anyone been fishing east of the Thames at Harkness or Niantic?

Phil

Quentin
11-01-2004, 01:35 PM
. . . Anyone been fishing east of the Thames at Harkness or Niantic?

Phil

I stopped by Harkness and Pleasure Beach over the weekend but only for a quick look. There was a good blitz of schoolies at sundown at Ocean Beach on Saturday. I heard a third-hand report that some albies made a brief showing Sunday morning. Didn't stop at Niantic at all. Plenty of shad at the Old Saybrook causeway.

Q

Jimmy
11-01-2004, 03:50 PM
So this will be quick West of Mystic.....In fact closer to the "Housie" has been good. The bird sanctuary in Milford has been good. Try the out going. Westport at the Mill Pond on the out going along with Compo Beach have been producing well. The beaches in Stamford have been pretty hot. Blues to 6 lbs and bass from 20 to 30 inches. It seems that the blues have been pushing the bait (p-bunker) into the shallows during the day. At night the bass have been in the same areas "cleaning up" what's left. Bunker patterns about 3 inches working during the day. Black snake flies or black bait fish patterns at night. If you have a school of blues crashing bait, do what I do. I carry a fly box full of 'mistakes" I've tied. The blues will do the work of removing the material on the hook. Then just use it again. ;) Make sure you carry wire. :whoa:

Striper
11-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Was out in the Milford area this evening in the waders..........one word DEAD! No bait no fish! Starting to wonder????

FishHawk
11-02-2004, 04:36 AM
Wonder what the water temperture is? If it's near 50 the Fat Lady has sung her song. FishHawk :smokin: