Last WHO-RAH, goin for broke in South County [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Last WHO-RAH, goin for broke in South County

mikez
10-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Well, tenatively anyway. If the Gods smile on me, [meaning if my car will live a few more days, nothing blows up at work and I don't break both my legs] I'll be hitting it hard this weekend.

Prolly start somewhere east, most likely Beavertail, on Saturday afternoon. Then prowl westward looking for satisfaction where ever it can be found. Very likely be fishing a breachway after dark or maybe Watch Hill depending on wind and tide and water clarity. Sunday's up in the air but my bet is I'll be west of Quonnie, east of Napatree.

I'm reserving the right to call in sick Monday :lildevl:

Anyone in the area who wants to rub elbows reply to this post as the best way to contact me. If not, look for the green Taurus wagon with all the smoke streaming out from under the hood. :rolleyes:

PS I'll be packing the spin gear for backup so easily offended Purists be warned! :wink:

Adrian
10-27-2004, 02:11 PM
I might see ya out there Mike - last week-end was a bust and I'm "itching" real bad :lildevl:

Quentin
10-27-2004, 02:38 PM
I'll probably be down there during the weekend also. Last weekend was a bust for me too (and the weekend before that and the weekend before that and . . .)

I'm ready to finally stumble upon some serious fall blitzes. Haven't seen any good blitzes since September! :confused:

Q

mikez
10-27-2004, 04:29 PM
I'll keep my eyes out for you guys.
I plan to drive the shore of the Narraganset area searching for bait on my way to my favorite breachway. As long as the water isn't gunked up, the bait will be key.
Where oh where could those peanuts be?
Plenty of silversides in the breachways for the after dark schoolie action [skunk insurence] but some sizable bunker are needed if this season is gonna end with a bang.
Imagine a World Series Win followed by a nice Down Home Blood and Guts Rhody Blitz! :whoa:

Adrian
10-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Winds forecast to be out of the South/South West - bodes well for inshore bait and surf activity....

GregD
10-28-2004, 05:48 PM
I'll be down friday night fishing into the moonlight and back again with my two boys and boating all day sunday. Hope to see some of you down there. Hope the shorts are replaced with some keeper sized bass by then ;) . I may even get down that away again on Monday with my Kayak.

Tight Lines,
Greg.

Lefty
10-28-2004, 06:44 PM
A few of us hitting it tommorrow too. Will report later tommorrow.

mikez
10-28-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm liking the weather for Saturday afternoon and after dark.

Too bad you couldn't hang out another day or two Lefty. Would have liked to run into you.
Good luck!

bonefishmon
10-29-2004, 04:53 AM
Hey Mike! I'll be in the Weekapaug area this am, Friday. White Ford Tempo (you're not alone on the car problems).

Phil

mikez
11-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Oh well, no big blitz and no bonito.
Small to medium blues made frequent appearences but never in the large numbers. Stripers were alarmingly scarce in the white water. By the look of the surf and the smell of the south wind I thought stripers were gonna go nuts. Watch Hill was dead. Plenty of schoolies around Weakapoug but many were tiny, some 10 - 12 inches! These looked like the very early fish of spring. Strange.

The highlite of the weekend for me was spotting a sandhill crane in the marsh near W-poug. Although they are not rare in the western states, they are very infrequent casual visitors to the east coast and a rare find and a life lister for me. Although I spotted it on my own, someone else had already reported it so I didn't get credit. I spent the better part of Sunday observing the bird and planning a stalk to get into close up photo range. Three times I stalked it only to have it decide to change locations while I was creeping close. I did get so-so pics from a distance, good enough to confirm it anyway.

Gonna hafta hang up the salty gear for the season. :(
Don't know how often I'll check this site once non-fishing activities take over in my interests.
Hears wishing you all a good safe winter! See out there next year!

Quentin
11-02-2004, 08:19 PM
. . . The highlite of the weekend for me was spotting a sandhill crane in the marsh near W-poug. . . .

Ah HA! That's why all the cars were parked down by the corner of the pond. I could see that they were looking at the bird, but I didn't realize it was a semi-rare species for these parts. I thought it was just an egret :rolleyes:

Q