Rhody report for Bonito Bob :) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhody report for Bonito Bob :)

Striper
10-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Well I got out for a fishin trip this morning finally after a long spell of no fishin. Launched out of Pine Island and was into fish 2 min. later. There was Albies and Bass and Blues just obliterating the local peanut population before sunrise at first light. I did not hook any Albies but I really didn't try to hook any either but they were there, I did however catch bass after bass all day long with a blue thrown in every now and then. All of the fish were on the small side but there were thousands of them from Pine Island/Brushy Point all the way as far as I could see down to Weekapaug when I got down that way. Birds everywhere and fish everywhere from the beach in the wash out to about a mile off shore. Really would have been a great day to be on the beach but the beach was relatively empty. Saw a few guy's driving up and down and when they stopped they were catching fish. I caught fish on everything I threw in the water today, fly, spin, conventional didn't matter they are eatin good and won't stop till they get to the Hudson or Chesapeake Bay. If anybody wants to get into some great fall shore fishing along the beaches of R.I. I would head up there ASAP, I left the fish still eatin to find bigger fish which was a bust. Not a bad day, plenty of numbers but quality was definitely not there. Have to give it another shot soon. Have my last weekend of classes for the Capts. license course this weekend so won't be on the water this weekend but will try to get out in the evening.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Bonito Bob I highly recommend you guy's launch at Barn Island Ramp off Exit 91 on I-95, it was just redone this summer and it is first rate, it will spit you out right at Napatree where you can nearly spit to Watch Hill. If the winds are honkin' then you can stay inside the Sandy Point area and catch fish in relative safety and comfort. If it is a real nice day and the fish are playing hide and seek then it is an easy run east to Point Judith and beyond if you are feeling adventurous. It is really a great spot right in the middle of everything and you can also go west towards the Thames and Niantic if the weather dictates. Take it slow and easy around Watch Hill being the first time for you guy's there are some hazards to be concerned about and without local knowledge it could ruin your fishing day or worse.

Bonito Bob
10-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks so very much for this information. You guys are the best and this site ROCKS. I actually printed off and used the threads to show my wife that I was not making it up or exaggerating about just how hot things are in RI. This is it - I must go as it is clear this is what we have been waiting for all year! :smokin: Leaving tomorrow PM for Thursday on the water. Will post follow up when back in Maine. I owe you’ all.

Bob

Bonito Bob
10-28-2004, 07:33 PM
As promised:

Out this AM at first light from barn island ramp ( really nice) and it was tight lines in two minutes. We were into 14-24" bass and some blues until 1:00pm. Boated about 20 fish, maybe more. All on 9 wt poles using 3-4" pollack patterns and 4-5" bunker patterns. Actual bait was not too small - what we saw come up out of some blues mouth were peanut bunker 4 - 5" size. We boated 4 larger fish, one 34, one 32, one 30, one 29. All were set back. Three of the 4 were not caught anywhere near birds. One larger fish was, and this fish was taken in 30 feet of water with 450 grain sinking line and allowing the fly to drop for a couple of minutes to be sure we were down then stripping back. This technique seemed to work getting under the top feeding smaller fish. Most all the schoolies were taken under birds and some were mixing with small snapper blues. Lost a leader and two feet of fly line when a blue ran through it and cut it off on the swim. :eek: Went off the rocks heading up towards WH and worked hard with the wind for two of the the other larger fish. Went over to Fisher Island and worked the rocks for the other larger fish. All and all a really memorable day thanks to the suggestions here. Thanks so much for the input. :)

Bob

TimSt
10-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Did you see any albies in your travels?

Striper
10-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Tim,
I don't know about Bob but I did see some Albies still in evidence around Pine Island. I did not see any mixed in with the Bass and Blues along the Watch Hill shoreline but that does not mean there weren't any around. I think there are still some stragglers hanging in but they are notoriously hard to hook at this time in the season.

Mike M.

Bonito Bob
10-29-2004, 04:23 PM
I agree with Mike. We did not bring any fA to the boat, although we were targeting larger bass after we got into the small snappers and the 14-20" bass for a few hours. There were many schools of bait being hammered, I'm unsure if the fA were there or not. They may have been , as some of the action was moving very very quickly across the surface. In general, I'm pretty confident that they are still around, although at this point they are in tight schools - forcing action - and it's hit or miss. There is alot of bait. Water temps yesterday were 55 -56.

Bob

TimSt
10-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys. Fished the Newport/Jamestown area by boat this a.m., and only found a couple of pods of small bass. Was thinking about the run to WH, but not in tomorrow's wind/seas. Hope to find something locally.