Top 5 Endangered Rivers In The U.s. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Top 5 Endangered Rivers In The U.s.

DEERHAAWK
10-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Good evening,
The Senate is in recess for the election.
American Rivers has released the top 5 endangered rivers in the U.S.
They are;

#1- Colorado
#2- Big Sunflower
#3- Snake
#4- Tennessee
#5- Allegheny and Monongahela

Now is your chance to put your name with others in helping change what goes on in these threatend waters!
Go to http://amriversaction.ctsg.com/join
This is a simple and easy way to get involved in making these waterways and wetlands better.

Deerhawk

This information from American Rivers
I am hopefull the link will work this time.......

flytyer
10-25-2004, 01:33 AM
Unfortunately, the problem with pressuring the Senate or House about the Snake River is that a federal judge in Spokane ruled and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals agreed that: 1) the Army Corp of Engineers is following the law; 2) the Army Corp of Enginerrs doesn't have to change how the dams on the river are operated; and 3) the Army Corp of Engineers does not have to remove or breach the dams because there is no compelling, provable link that shows the dams and are behind the decline in the anadromous fish runs in the river. In other words, unless Congress changes both the Endangered Species Act and the Clean Water Act, the Army Corp of Engineers doesn't have to change a thing on the Snake River.

We can thank a federal judge and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals for this, and I highly doubt the House or Senate will reopen either the ESA or the Clean Water Act to try and change how the dams on the Snake River can be operated or even if they can remain in place. American Rivers does good work; unfortunately, on the Snake River question, they have been trumped by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals from their ruling made just last month.

Moonlight
10-25-2004, 02:22 AM
Change the %ucking law!

DEERHAAWK
10-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Good morning,
Flytyer, I am doing some research on this, when did this appeals judge make the ruling, I need a date, month this year would be fine. Is there any archive info, news articles, etc. that you can shoot my way.
Thanks in advance.

Deerhawk

Moonlight, I agree most wholeheartedly! Laws were meant to be changed.

flytyer
10-25-2004, 01:07 PM
All those who want some more info on the federal court ruling on the Snake should read the thread titled "Snake Dams Court Ruling" in the Forums.