Rods--8'6 or 9'0 ft. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rods--8'6 or 9'0 ft.

JDB
10-18-2004, 12:41 PM
I fish smaller streams in New Mexico. I do make it to the San Juan a couple a times a year. I need advice on proper rod length. I hear a lot of guides in this area moving towards longer 9 foot rods. Any advice?

zugbugz
12-30-2004, 12:02 PM
I fish smaller streams in New Mexico. I do make it to the San Juan a couple a times a year. I need advice on proper rod length. I hear a lot of guides in this area moving towards longer 9 foot rods. Any advice?

JDB, 9' is a very versatile length and will work most anywhere if you are a decent caster. It allows you to carry a little more line in a cast, helping to maximize distance and counter the wind. With otherwise identical rods, you should be able to get a little more casting distance with a 9', but that also depends on your casting mechanics...your style. If you aren't into max distance, you might be actually be able to cast better with the shorter rod. Shorter rods generally are more specialized for certain uses (spring creeks, pocket water, small streams, etc) and aren't as versatile. On a practical note, choices for an 8'6" in sizes above a 4 wt are more limited (following the bigger water/bigger rod logic). Bottom line, CAST BOTH, then decide! If it were me I'd see which one felt the best for my casting style and/or go for the 8'6" if all I'd be fishing are smaller streams and the 9' if I was looking for an all-arounder...:hihi:

roballen2
12-30-2004, 09:15 PM
not many manufacturers do it but an 8'9" rod is the perfect length for an all around trout rod..

Eddie
12-30-2004, 10:59 PM
Winston makes a couple of sweet 5pc 8'9" rods. I like the 4wt best. A nine footer should be fine.

shotgunner
12-31-2004, 10:17 AM
JDB, my home river is what i would consider medium size. the xtra 6 on the 9' is a definate asset when casting from a deep water position. if you do any nymphing it would benefit there as well.

if your primary waters have alot of overhanging limbs or other obstacles inhibiting swinging a rod the 8'6" would probably be a better choice.

i have carried both lengths up and down travelling and hardly notice a differance. some good going with a fair amount of bush wacking involved.

maybe choose a length according to where you spend most of your time. SG