Capts. License course [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Capts. License course

Striper
10-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Just thought I would let you all know, not that it is really important, that I finally signed up to take the USCG/OUPV licensing course. The first class is tonight and I have a class Sat./Sun. for the next three weekends. It sounds pretty intensive but I am excited and can hardly wait to finish it up. Hopefully by next season I will be all legal and able to start taking folks out fishing on the boat for real. I know some of you have joined me in the past and I enjoyed all of your company very much in the past, I hope that we can continue to do more fishing together in the future. I truly love being on the water and have a passion for fishing like nothing else and it is very rewarding to be able to share that with others who may not have the resources or ability to get out on the water and experience some of the things I have. I have much to learn about the charter business and guiding but it will be a labor of love and I hope it will be something I can do for a longtime to come. Just want to thank many of you for pushing me to do it, if not for you and my wife I probably still would not have taken the plunge. I will update as to my progress and when I finally pass the test, then I just have to tie up the loose ends to finalize things.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

BigDave
10-15-2004, 10:47 AM
It's about time! :D

Way to go Mike! The learning curve should be short for you based on your experience and the number of hours you spend on the water every sesason.

Good luck!

Dave

Smcdermott
10-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Mike, wish you all the best. I am sure you know you have some great references available.

Sean

FishHawk
10-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Great news Mike you 'll make a fine guide. Hope to book a charter with you sometime. FishHawk :smokin:

juro
10-16-2004, 10:12 AM
As someone you've taken out unofficially, I can only say that the ride is well worth the price of admission!

Best of luck with this and I look forward to calling you Capt'n!

Dble Haul
10-18-2004, 09:30 AM
I'd say good luck, but I really don't think you'll need any luck. You'll do great.

Congratulations in advance. :cool:

steelheadmike
10-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Best of luck Mike! Im sure you will do fine. You spend more days on the water than most of the guides out there.

I'll be right behind you ... next Nov I am taking the test. :biggrin:

Rip Ryder
10-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Hi Mike,

Like any other certification get all you can get. Tell your instructor you want to take both the Sub Chapter C (6 pack) and the Sub chapter T (masters) tests.
This is the basic legal requirements on uninspected and inspected boats. This way you will be able to run 6 pack charters and if down the road you want to run a tour boat or head boat you can. I know a few people who have done this.

The test is the same format just different sub chapters of CFR 46. Your 6 pack will be for 100 ton and then depending on what size boats you have your sea time on will determine your Masters tonage. Most people get the 50 ton or 25 ton
and the Regional Exam Center will determine that when they review your paper work.

The way I look at it, Pay to take the class once. You never know what the future holds for opportunities. Tour Boat and Margarittas in the Caribbean? Maybe after retirement.

Capt Keith
Monomoy island ferry