Sage SLT Rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sage SLT Rod

JDB
10-13-2004, 11:55 AM
I am getting ready to purchase a Sage SLT 4wt rod. I need advice for a good reel to match this rod.

jamie
10-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Personally I use a a Sage reel with my SLT. There are SOOOO many good reels out there though.
To help narrow it down are you looking for a large or regular arbour on your reel?

JDB
10-15-2004, 11:32 AM
I am looking for a large arbor reel and I really like the Sage. I did have drag concerns with the Sage. I am also looking at Ross, although I do like the Sage design. I may also look at Waterworks. Are you happy with the Sage reel.

jamie
10-15-2004, 11:39 AM
I like the Sage reel. I understand that it is actually built by Waterworks/Lamson, so much of the engineering is the same. I do not have a Waterworks reel, but own a few Lamsons' which is another fine reel.

You might also consider a Vosseller reel if you can get hold of them. A great reel for the money. Quite new on the market and already getting a good reputations. Never handled a Ross although it is another reel with a good reputation

FLGator
10-20-2004, 04:42 PM
I have a Sage SLT 596 that I paired with a Loop LW 4seven and I could not be happier. This is my second Loop reel and will not be my last (I also own the HD11thirteen). I highly recommend that you take a look at the Loop before you purchase anything else in the price range you are shopping.
Chris

P.S. I purchased mine at the Red Shed Fly Shop which is a sponsor of this site and guarantee you will not find better service in the industry.

NateSmith
11-16-2004, 02:35 PM
If you are going with the STL then get the Tibor. The free stone is the one I think you would want. Pricey but an great real. Galvin makes an awsome reel too. both are great looking and has a monster/smooth drag. I don't care for the sage. I always thought you should stick with what you know and sage knows rods not reels.

BrownDog
11-21-2004, 07:19 PM
JDB

i have a Sage 389 SLT (3 weight)----i strongly recomend going with a Ross Evolution, which is what i use----the Ross is exceptional quality and very light weight---it also has great line capacity---i have landed many trout over 5lbs and up to 10lbs with this combo----the Ross Evolution will perfectly balance with the Sage 4wt SLT----i think u will be very happy going with this combo---good luck

JDB
12-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks BrownDog,

That is the exact route that I am taking and I have a "BrownDog".

Tranceport
12-17-2004, 06:03 AM
Just food for thought but the Bauer MXP is a real sweet heart, it's a few extra dollers but super light and the drag is like cutting butter with a hot knife... so smooth. The finish is really the best I have seen and put optic orange backing on with a green line and its the hotest reel I have ever seen both in performance and eye appeal. Perfect for your SLT which is my personal favorite 590-5

Check them out!

http://www.bauerflyreel.com/

1 More Cast
12-22-2004, 07:52 AM
JDB,

I have a Sage 490 SLT 4 piece, with a Tibor Springcreek reel, that fits this light rod to a T..
1More