Plymouth [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Plymouth

JimW
10-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Plymouth has been so so this fall. Last year was outstanding but I was starting to think the fish had passed us by altogether.
After an especially bad day of work I took a drive by a favorite yak spot overlooking the bay. There are more gulls sitting around than I've seen there since last fall. The birds obviously think something is going to happen. I won't be able to get out this week or weekend but I really think it's going to bust wide open. There have been some reports of large fish to the North, just like last year. Seems it might just maybe be running a couple weeks behind, if so and you have the time fishing the incoming tomorrow morning might just pay off big. Best to hit it from a boat but a yak can get you into a lot of the action. There are small fish busting on the surface in the evening, if they are not showing on top they seem to be hugging the shore real tight near the grass. Gulls and terns are not the only indicators, if the action isn't obvious look for the egrets and black birds hanging on the shoreline and that's where you'll find the fish.

grego
10-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Jim,

You are correct there are some fish to the N that will probably be moving in that direction. My first hand observation is that there is not nearly as much "Big Stuff" mixed in as last year, & whether they will "Stop By" Plymouth is TBD.

All account that I've heard indicate that yes, Plym has been soft this year. It never ceases to amaze me how variable this game is: hour to hour, day to day, & season to season.

Hope it Happens that way, keep us posted.....

JimW
10-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Looks like they might have arrived.
http://baymenoutfitters.com/news/1098374550.html

I'm not sure where the 17' seas are coming from, must be a typo, I'm showing 7-10 which is plenty enough to keep me away.