Fly Fishing Forum banner

patching waders

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  PeteGray 
#1 ·
This weekend Terry told me about some kind of marine sealant that works wonders on waders. I forgot what it is called and was wondering if Terry or someone else can point me in the right direction.

#2 ·
Aquaseal is my favorite sealer by far. It's about $5 a tube at most flyshops. It's not the easiest to work with, spread it carefully with a popsickle stick if you are trying to keep it thin - but it is as strong as could be and seals forever.

#3 ·
If the repair is minor (pin holes or less then an inch) and you're trying to keep the scar on your big-buck$ gore-tex waders to a minimum...there is a UV sensitive wader patch product put out by LOON OUTDOORS (they also make "knot sense"...good stuff) that sets up in a few minutes once it's exposed to the sun...or day light. Good for surf/stream side repairs.
For canvas, nylon, rubber, or whatever, Aquaseal does a good job but the cure is essentially an overnighter...I've used "shoe-goo" but it tends to be a bit stiff after setting up. Be careful out there, avoid knife fights!
Life is too short to put up with leaky waders!

#5 ·
Solo - sounds like a handy thing to have in the field... take a break and right back at 'em. I carry duct tape for streamside repairs. Funny, I've made repairs with duct tape that are several years old! A patch saved my BC steelhead trip last month in fact. No wonder climbers call it "Jesus on a roll". The stuff you mention seems a little more sensible though... I'm off to search for it on the web...

Found it... <!--http--><a href="http://www.loonoutdoors.com/prod5.html" target="_blank"> HERE </a><!--url-->. Sounds like a neat solution, literally

#6 ·
Juro...Excellent! There's a Miller High Life commercial that hit it on the head, it goes..."If the early Egyptians had duct tape, the spinks would still have a nose!" Sounds like one more addition to the what-if fishing bag.
I fly jets and almost always carry a roll (just in case). On day one of a three day major Canadian airshow, my flight engineer tore out the crotch of his flight suit on a gear door...Duct Tape to the rescue!

#9 ·
Juro...(C-5) Lets just say that downstairs in the cargo compartment we can carry 6 greyhound buses (or 2 130000# M1A1 Battle tanks) and just under 100 trusting souls upstairs...Duct Tape, don't leave home without it!
What we lack in agility we make up for in bulk...(size matters!)
I fly over Monomoy at 20000-30000' so if you're lookig for aerial recon photos I'm affraid it wouldn't show much (I could give you a monentary aluminum overcast)...on climb out from Westover on the departure that takes me over Hartford I can see the Vinyard (on a clear day) Block, Fishers, and Long Island...lets just call it an "overview"...but in a year and a half when I "retire" you may have an airborne fish spotin' eye in the sky to put you on those elusive albies.
Hang on Jasper, we're headin' for the rhubarb!
Did I hear someone say HANGAR SPACE? Indoor winter casting? No problem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.