Still good on the flats... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Still good on the flats...

juro
10-08-2004, 09:50 AM
but the tides were crap.

Nonetheless there were fish pretty much in all the spots we hit and lots of shots for my guest in the calm winds and bright sun. Without a pushing tide the fish weren't really in the mood, and the catching was not as good as the fishing but some good hookups with scrappy fall fish combined with the gorgeous fall day made for a nice outing that we'll remember with a smile on some frigid February day.

Bait - bunker and silversides, although concentrated in pockets. Small schools of sand eels in certain areas as well. Krill plentiful as well.

Oceanside - small bunker and sand eels, lots of working birds stripers working them mostly during the tide change.

I had a feeling Brewster Flats was packed with fish that turned past the canal on their way down but didn't get a chance to investigate that theory.

My guess is that we are still a long way from the big migratory push on the southside - I would guess Halloween and into early November this year for the continual stream of bunker and bass that marks the end of the season for the cape. Last year it was third week in October, 6 hours of non-stop catching from Hardings to Hyannis and probably beyond.

striblue
10-08-2004, 10:11 AM
I will be down tomorrow and just walk down South beach from the Light house...the tides are not good...but I will be there..

FredA
10-08-2004, 08:52 PM
After knocking off a honeydo later than I'd hoped I got to Harborside at dusk. Had a lot of bait being chased out of the water and some swirls, looked like small fish. No takes. Probably give it a shot in the am or maybe Paine Creek for the high incoming.

juro
10-08-2004, 09:39 PM
John,

We found fish to be working the lighthouse beach under the bait (also plentiful) last night. I would bet you will do well there.

!note the changes to mecca! You can cast across about 50 yards further to the south since the storm! The bottom has filled in to be like the old big girl right in front, fishes very well on the flood especially since there is so much bait around (bunker).

I am thinking Nauset by oversand next time I get out, the end of Nauset has been fantastic over the last two weeks with even an albie show or two and I suspect it will only get better.

The bowl to the right of the t-bone has only gotten better, making the ferry less attractive for backside anglers on south beach.

Very different, and much better for the lighthouse angler recently.

striblue
10-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks Juro...I will play the tides... I will head to the Lighthouse on the outgoing around 11 am... them I will go to Ridgevale Beach and Hardings on the incoming around late afternoon and into the dark for FA's.... Bucks Creek... at dusk on an incoming... wait..... and see.

Stevo
10-12-2004, 05:55 PM
If I ever get over your neck of the woods, from the UK - will one of you guys show me the ropes? :o

Penguin
10-12-2004, 06:44 PM
June would be a good starting reference...
Render proper warning and you will be attended to nicely...
The logisitics are doable and language barriers will only be a minor consideration...

Something to consider...
Commission Guide Meister Juro and you will be handsomely rewarded...
Otherwise, you'll have to contend with the likes of "non-beach-ninja commoners"...
Think about it!

Stevo
10-12-2004, 06:55 PM
What can I say... You guys are the best! :)

June does kinda 'do-it' for me as I have noticed on the forums that early Summer, stalking conditions, seems to get everyone just as hot under the collar!

jamie
10-13-2004, 03:49 AM
Steve,

Looks like Basses is going to beat you there :lildevl: , he is flying in for 9 days to get in some end of season action on Monday (18th). I'm going to be going over again in June, I have already cleared it with her indoors. :smokin:

Life is sweet!

Stevo
10-15-2004, 07:45 AM
Jamie

Yes I know he will.
He rang me to gloat the other day! :cool:

I still prefer the June idea though.