end game... 2004 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: end game... 2004

juro
10-06-2004, 06:58 AM
What are people planning for the grand finale? We are still weeks from the fat lady singing but I am thinking of extending the season by venturing further down the coast and wondering what people have in mind.

I heard there is a big event in jersey next weekend?

Rhodyfest interest this year?

Montauk sure sounds like a blast, car pool anyone?

Anyone going to Carolina for a drag burning?

Then of course it will be time to get ridiculous in the tropics...

Doc Duprey
10-06-2004, 08:34 AM
A big event in Joisey? Hmm...what might that be?

Best regards,

-Doc

juro
10-06-2004, 09:33 AM
griz0707 -

Could you fill us in on this event?

Adrian
10-06-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm still keen on an outer beaches assault around halloween time. From what I hear, the really big girls wait until the fair weather crowd have hung up their waders before making the trip South.

Joizey in November has become an annual event - it would be great to have a big crowd together at the hook.

I also intend to catch at least one striper in December and I have a pretty good idea where :lildevl:

BigDave
10-06-2004, 10:15 AM
BELIZE! :smokin:

BARDY
10-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Hey Juro
Next weekend in Seaside, N.J. the Atlantic Saltwater Flyrodders are having there annual Conclave. They invite a bunch of other Saltwater Flyrodding clubs from Jersey and Delaware to participate. If you are not familar with ASWF they were started with the help of Bob Pop. I'm sure he will be there since he lives in Seaside, which is also where the Conclave Headquarters is. The name of the motel is the Windjammer Motor Inn. They have a Conclave rate of $45.00 a night based on double occupancy.
Here is ASWF's WEB site: http://www.aswf.org/
I go down there every fall to fish with a friend of mine from Philly. I'm trying to get him to meet me there next weekend. If anyone is going down, E-mail and we'll try and hook-up
Fishing the Jersey shore is a totally different world than we fish. The beaches are all pretty much staight and go for miles. They are mostly drive on beaches with 4-wheel drive vehicles, which you need to fish effectivly.
Keep me posted if you are going.

BARDY
10-06-2004, 10:46 AM
One more thing about Jersey. Driving time from the Marlboro Mass Pike entrance
is about 4 1/2 hours to Seaside, N.J.. If you go, stop at a bank and get a roll of Quartes and a roll of Dimes. The Jersey Turnpiike does not use tokens, and you are going to go through at least 10 if not more, toll boths.

MarkS
10-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Say Bardy,

NJTP uses tickets and pay as you exit....it's the Garden State Parkway that has a $0.35 toll every two miles....but they do have a FastLane / EZPass option. still slows you down a bit.

Plus, if your going down at 4AM there are not so many cars on the road. :wink:

mark

BARDY
10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi Mark
I did mean the Garden State Parkway, and you are right, 4am you are pretty much alone on the roads

grizz0707
10-06-2004, 05:22 PM
hi everyone,
the event is october 15th and 16th at seaside heights,nj. it is being sponored by ASWF Altantic Salt Water Flyrodders. It is 4 local fishing clubs that will take you out and show you the sites. this will be my first year there for more information go to the ASWF web site :aswf.org and click on events, then click on the calendar for october,then click on the icon for the 15th or 16th. rooms are availlable i think for 45 a night double occupancy and a dinner will follow at a pub. I am 2 hours from there. if anyone wants to come i have an extra bed or two but right now i am probably going to be there for friday night. there will a hospiltaity suite at the hotel. any other questions just pm me and i will get info you need.

Slinger
10-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Are there FA`s and will I need a permit to run the beaches?
Slinger

grizz0707
10-07-2004, 08:49 AM
i think you need one. if you want me to find out pm me

BARDY
10-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Slinger
You do need beach permits, but I think the hotel is giving temporary ones oput for the tournament if you stay with them. I went on the Jersey shore Web site and looked up Motels in Seaside,N.J, Most of them offered the beach permits. teh problem is, each town requires you to have there permit. I don't know how many towns border Seaside,N.J, but to travel across town lines on the beach you need their permit.
I hope to see you down there.
Brian O'Connor

ashley
10-07-2004, 12:34 PM
My grande final was my trip to cape cod last week!!
Is it to late to post a report?
Ashley

Hawkeye
10-07-2004, 05:26 PM
It's never too late to post a report! :)

SteveF
10-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi Guys,

Just checking in and saw the reference to the ASWF Conclave on the 16th. I had the pleasure of meeting grizz0707 last week at sandy hook. Here's a link to the details:

http://www.aswf.org/events/2004/fish_conclave_aswf.html

The event is planned for Saturday the 16th. We'll(ASWF) have a hospitality suite set up Friday the 15th at the Windjammer motel with some refreshments/tying/videos for those arriving Friday afternoon. If I know roughly how many of you will attend I'll try to arrange for local members with 4wd and IBSP permits to help transport folks to the areas we may fish. It has not turned on big time there yet but the peanut population started it's migration south from sandy hook last weekend. We've got good tides for the 16th. If you do book at the Windjammer, mention the ASWF conclave to get the $45 per night rate(room for two). You guys are more than welcome.

It's a simple event in it's second year. Just a day's fishing and fun hosted by our club to share what we know. We'll gather at the local watering hole(Klee's) Sat eve to colclude the event.

SteveF

BARDY
10-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Hey Steve
I'll be going down Friday morning and meeting my friend from Philly there for the weekend.
What type of flies are you guys using this time of year? I"d like to tie some up before I get there.
I have been to Bob Pop's restaurant once, three years ago. Can you give directions on how to get there.
Thanks, see you at Seaside.
Brian

SteveF
10-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Brian,

4 inch peanut bunker imitations have been the ticket so far. Also bring some spearing & bay anchovy imitations from 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 inches in case the albies pop up.

The Shady Rest is on Route 9 South in Bayville. I'll see if I can dig up something more specific on the direction front.

SteveF

tglynos
10-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Wish I could participate in this event and meet some of you guys, but I'm catching bigger fish. Getting married this weekend. Going to have to wait for another opportunity. Good luck to all.

fliboy
10-12-2004, 10:20 PM
I'd be game for a RhodyFest or a JoiseyJaunt.

Dave

juro
10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Wish I could participate in this event and meet some of you guys, but I'm catching bigger fish. Getting married this weekend. Going to have to wait for another opportunity. Good luck to all.

Congratulations! I took a weekend off from fishin' :wink: to get married many moons ago, best catch I ever made - I wish you and your bride all the happiness the world has to offer.

tglynos
10-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Juro, Thank you for the congrats. I think I got a pretty good one, not a cow, but she puts up a damn good fight. Good luck to all and after you catch the big ones send me a report. I want to know how the local waters are fairing this time of year. Weather looks good but cold for the weekend, bundle up!!!