Lamiglas fly rods?? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lamiglas fly rods??

nickcsus
10-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Does anyone have any experience casting/fishing the Lamiglas/Jim Teeny fly rods. These seem to show up on ebay regularly but I have no idea what they are like. I was looking for a backup/tweener for a salt water trip and I suppose given the prices, I could get one of these or perhaps a professional series TFO. Love to hear if you know anything about these. Thanks

nickcsus
10-21-2004, 09:56 AM
So lots of looks but absolutely no one to step up to admit that they have a Lamiglas fly rod. Kind of surprising....Perhaps this is an omen that suggests I look elsewhere for a back up rod....I think I may be looking at a TFO!

Nick

flytyer
10-21-2004, 02:03 PM
The only Lamiglas single hand rods I'm familiar with are the old !M6 rods they no longer make and the IM700. I never cared for the old IM6 rods because they were too soft and flexible for my tastes. However, I like the IM700's and have a 9' 4wt that I built on the IM700 blank 15 years ago; but only as blanks because Lamilas cosmetics are not all that nice. I have never cast the Jim Teeny series so I can't provide any info to you on them.

peter-s-c
10-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Owned a 12'5" - 6/7 wt. and built a 10'6" - 8/9 wt. from a blank. Both were quite slow and the cosmetics on the factory rod were mediocre. I also had to return the first factory rod (mail order) as the blank rolling had been atrocious. I liked the way both rods fished but given their actions, they're not for everyone.