Knot Coating [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Knot Coating

ScottP
10-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Don't know if this has been discussed before, but I've just tried Liquid Electrical Tape to coat line/leader, line/backing connections and it appears to be the bee's knees - flexible, waterproof, durable, easy to apply and quick to dry. The fumes are nasty (proper ventilation is a must) but it doesn't do any damage to the fly line and it slides through the guides slicker than whale snot. I think this is probably the same stuff as Plasti-Dip; can't seem to find it in Clear (which would probably be a good substitute for SofTex), but White worked fine.

Regards,
Scott

Slinger
10-02-2004, 01:21 AM
Loon mountain makes a stuff they call Knot Sense that comes in a tube and is applied to knots connections and even does a fine job at repairing flies on the water. I found it to be indespenceable now. It`s a liquid but cures to a hard, epoxy like finish in just a few seconds of exposer to sunlight, it`s activated by the UV rays. Loon now markets a kit for use at night that contains a small UV light for nightime use. A tiny dam on any knot and you will never see another slipped knot again.
Slinger

striblue
10-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Sounds pretty good Steve,,, for fly line to backing but I would probably find it unnecessary for fly to leader, especially on the water... what's your read on that.

Slinger
10-02-2004, 09:11 PM
I tell you the truth John, I`ve always had problems with slipping knots. This stuff has been like a miracle cure for me, just the tinniest dab works wonders.
Slinger