Methow [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Methow

OC
09-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Is the Methow closed to steelhead fishing now?

flytyer
09-29-2004, 05:15 PM
As of today, it has not been opened for steelhead, and it closes to all fishing Oct. 1st. Also there is a bad slide on the Chewuch River caused from last years forest fire that has been muddying up the Methow from Winthrop downstream; but I don't know how far below Twisp it is too muddy for fishing.

Big K1
09-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Flytyer is this a recent slide.I was over there two weeks ago and the river was clear below Winthrop. The Chewuch was clear also.

sinktip
09-29-2004, 07:08 PM
OC, talk to me offline.

loophitech
09-29-2004, 11:18 PM
The Methow is open as of this posting from WDFW...

http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/sep2904b.htm

Vinnie

flytyer
09-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Kevin,

The Chewuch slide has been active on and off all summer long. Anytime there is some rain it becomes very active and effects the Methow to at least Twisp and probably dowstream of Twisp. Sometimes the river has been fine and other times it is very badly muddied. It is sort of a crap shoot (at least that is what quite a few folks have told me).

I like the Methow; however, anyone heading over needs to be aware that it may be unfishable because of the slide. The good news is that if you go over and the Methow is out, you can drive the extra 20 miles and fish the Okanogan.

mattzoid
09-30-2004, 12:57 AM
I'll be fishing it with my Dad on the sixth.

OC
09-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks all,
I was watching the news last night when they mentioned it would open. I have a job over there next week so I guess I'm being forced into going fishing again. :(

God I hate this time of year of heavy sinktips, spey rods!

MJC
09-30-2004, 10:30 AM
God I hate this time of year of heavy sinktips, spey rods!

Are you saying Mr. Tip is putting on a few pounds. When we have our little meeting we'll have to make sure he gets only salad. :lildevl: :hihi:

No one is forcing you to use those "evil" spey rods. I know you to be a man of "strong will". Just stick with that little Winston. Last report I had on your Fall fishing you were doing "very well against the BIG sticks. :whoa:

OC
09-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Hey MJC,

You are getting pretty good at cracking the code. There has got to be a job for you at Langley.

The Winstons are put away till the trip your way latter. Only on an organic diet this time of year.

It's so easy to out fish the spey in low clear water.
1) Cane always go first through a run but I've proven time and time again it don't matter.
2) You know how those spey guys turn and froth the river into a muddy mess this time of year. I think they do so on purpose so they can fish a heavy tip. :lildevl:
3) I think they all want to fish a single handed cane rod this time of year but have spent so much money on spey rods and e-bay auction reels that they can't afford to fish cane for both money reasons and pride reasons.
4) They can't remember how to fish a single handed rod and their last rememberence of a single handed rod was of some fast action, weight forward gimmick.

Now in fairness to you MJC you fish a big river and it is ok to fish spey. But just you because I know you don't eat just :eek: salads.

MJC
09-30-2004, 11:20 AM
You know how those spey guys turn and froth the river into a muddy mess

I didn't know you'd seen me spey cast. I will admit it. I can fish down through a nice piece of "froggy" water and when I get done it looks like a riffle. :whoa: :eek:

But just you because I know you don't eat just salads.

Yes, in my minds eye I can taste the New York cut of "primo" beef. :)

dc_chu
09-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Was scouting the river last week and it was running clear at flows >400 cfs. The Chewuch was not presenting any problems as well. Can't hurt to call the local fly shops for the latest if you are worried about the clarity.

sinktip
09-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Ouch, and I thought OC was my friend. I guess I will have to hold out info on this mornings screaming of the e-bay reel and the bending of the expensive spey rod that is only good for frothing the river. Next thing I know, he will be out fishing with Karl Rowe and Dick Cheney. And to think that he told me that big W on his window was for Winston. :lildevl:

MJC
09-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Next thing I know, he will be out fishing with Karl Rowe and Dick Cheney. And to think that he told me that big W on his window was for Winston.

OUCH!, OUCH!, OUCH! Tip, You are cutting him DEEP. :whoa:

Ken Hunter
09-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Great runs in the Methow but no steelhead in the Wenatchee.

Politics?

Ken

Brian Simonseth
09-30-2004, 10:57 PM
When did OC get a job?

OC
10-01-2004, 08:53 AM
SinkTip,

Was going to fish with Karl and Dick this morning but after last night they decided that they better upgrade the strings, brain and motor functions of their pet puppet. :chuckle:

Brian,

Yes I guess I have a job. Sometimes I'm not sure what it is, like next week I have been told to go to the Methow and see how things are up there. But really I don't want to work I want to be a farmer. A lot of money can be made being a farmer. Hey are you catching any steelhead? Don't tell me here, PM me.

Hey FlyTyer,
You have enough room on your Skagit ranch for us to grow a crop or two.

Doublespey
10-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Was going to fish with Karl and Dick this morning but after last night they decided that they better upgrade the strings, brain and motor functions of their pet puppet.

Don't wait for 'em - it could be awhile!

:lildevl: :lildevl: :lildevl: :razz: :razz:

mattzoid
10-01-2004, 12:13 PM
If you didn't think the puppet was an idiot before, I'll bet you're convinced now after last night.

flytyer
10-01-2004, 05:00 PM
OC,

Plenty of farming here in the Skagit Valley due to its prime ag land producing superior crops.

Tip,

Perhaps OC is moving over to the dark side with the W on his window.

Ken,

Steelhead? There ain't no steelhead in the Wenatchee, that is why the feds ordered the state to close it and keep it closed.

Leafguy
10-17-2004, 01:06 PM
Ken, there are plenty of steelhead in the Wenatchee. I can count dozens on many days from the walkbridge at the mouth. You are right about the politics issue. Word around here is 1-2 more years and they'll be done playing their games. :rolleyes: It'll sure take the pressure off the Methow!!!!! :)

mattzoid
10-17-2004, 01:24 PM
The Feds dictate how we fish the Methow, Entiat and the Wenatchee. I discussed these rivers with one of the higher ups at WFDW and when they shut them down, they did some strange things on each river to increase returns. The Methow, they supplemented marked hatchery fish. Now they encourage people to retain those hatchery fish to keep them off the wild redds. The Entiat, they did nothing to see what would happen. The Wenatchee, they supplemented with unmarked hatchery fish. This is important because if the Feds do allow the Wenatchee to be fished again, it will have to be catch and release with selective gear rules because you will not be able to tell the difference between the Zombies and the Natives. CnR will help to keep the numbers down of fisherman on that river. You know it will be a zoo when they do open it up.

Leafguy
10-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Matt, local flyfishermen in Wenatchee, including the Wen. Valley Flyfishers club, asked for CnR and special regs when they first closed the river in the mid 90s. The big beef was, and still is, the meat fishermen. They are capable of raising hell in large numbers and getting their way (if they can't smack em on the head, then we can't CnR). There is no way the CnR mortality rate would affect the number of fish we get back in the Wenatchee. Poaching has always been a much larger problem here.

mattzoid
10-17-2004, 02:26 PM
I know, I grew up on Lake Wetsnatchee for the last 30 years of summers and weekends. My mom and dad have always had land there and moved there permenantly in '78. If you look at my Avatar, that is the east end of Lake Wenatchee over my daughters left shoulder looking down from Pole Ridge. Poaching was one of the main reasons for shutting down that system as I'm sure it didn't help the returns. I know they will have to budget a swarm of agents when it does open up.

Additionally, the meat eaters wont have a choice. As I said, there will be no way to tell which are Natives and which are Zombies.

tbuehrens
10-18-2004, 10:12 AM
another good reason to do away with the hatchery and let it return to 100% wild production!

Moonlight
10-20-2004, 10:27 AM
The Methow is still giving off the dirty dusting with each rain fall event. It dosen't take very much rain either, so far this has not kept it out of shape for much more than a day or so at a time. Not too bad unless you are short of time and it takes place while you are there!!!!!

w.r. earl
10-31-2004, 04:34 PM
i fished the methow oct. 22/04.landed 3 on spey flies 6 to 10 lbs. all wild.

salt dog
11-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I was fortunate to fish 3 weekends on the Methow this October - Bliss! I noted of about 30 fish landed between my partner and I, only 3 had adipose clipped. Talk was that many hatchery fish were unclipped. Anyone hear of unclipped hatchery steelhead in the Methow?