A cast to the Great White? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A cast to the Great White?

OC
09-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Watching the Seattle news last night they had a story of the Falmouth Great White on. I was on the phone when it came on so had the sound off. I was amazed that this awsome creature would swim in such a strange place as what looked like a small salt water pond. I wonder if this could be the same shark I read about earlier on a post I believe off of Monomoy. Anyone have the story on this big fella? Anyone get a chance to cast their 13 wt to him? Looked like 16 feet from the film clip. Any reports on what he has been feeding on?

Think twice maybe three times before wadding! :D

Dble Haul
09-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Adrian, Bert and I were with John at CAC over the weekend and this was on the news quite a bit. Apparently the shark ventured into the salt pond / estuary on a high moon tide, and subsequent flood tides haven't had enough water to allow it to return to the open sea. The hopes are that at the next moon tide the shark will make it out. This was the situation as of Saturday night, and I don't know what may have happened since then.

It's caused quite a commotion, and people from all over have traveled to Woods Hole to see the animal. The harbor patrol had to eventually keep people away from the shark because they were trying to touch the dorsal or tail from their boats. The shark hadn't eaten anything substantial in days, and was beginning to show signs of irritation and aggression. Some people were even trying to get close to it in kayaks. :tsk_tsk:

Long story short, I hope the shark will make it out of there okay. It's a magnificent animal that took an unfortunate turn into waters that just aren't right for a fish its size. If anyone hears about the ultimate ending to this situation, please share.

flytyer
09-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Mark,

Perhaps some of the folks trying to touch it can help feed it with hands, arms, or whole bodies? Saw this on the news this morning and my 13 year old said, "Waht are those idiots trying to do, get eaten?!"

Dble Haul
09-28-2004, 02:22 PM
It's safe to say that your 13 year old is significantly smarter than those people trying to touch the great white.

Coming soon to Woods Hole: natural selection. :whoa:

Dble Haul
10-04-2004, 02:30 PM
The shark was seen leaving the area this afternoon (Monday, Oct 4) at about 1:00 PM.

Now that it's radio tagged, I'm sure that some pretty useful data will be gathered.

Here's to a good ending, for both shark and Cape residents! :)

Penguin
10-04-2004, 07:23 PM
TimeSharing...
SwimEatSwimEat...
Even sharks need a vacation now and then...

I didn't hear the local Chamber of Commerce complaining!
That GreySuiter drummed up a good many off season hotel rooms...

OC
10-05-2004, 09:03 AM
It was really good to see that she made it back to open ocean.

With the radio tag on she will be able to listen to all the good local radio stations while dinning on summer left overs that are still wadding the shore lines of Falmouth.

Best of luck to her and eventually may she enjoy the warm currents of the gulf stream.

kush
10-05-2004, 09:20 AM
So Pete,

Do you think you go chat up those Chamber of Commerce types to get them to arrange for that big fella to return to the pond next July while Sandi and I are encamped at Area 61? After all... being radio tagged they could just send it a message. :hihi:

FredA
10-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Speaking of big fish did anyone happen to see the pic of the big snook over at FFSW. So scary they had to moderate it.