So. County Slam [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: So. County Slam

BigDave
09-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Fished on a friends boat around Pt. Judith on Saturday. Beautiful early fall day! We cruised around the West Wall and stopped the boat to take a look...instantly albies are popping all around us. Buddy hooks up to an albie on the first cast of the day!

With that start we thought we would slay them but that was not the case. We went outside and saw very sporadic, very small pods that would come up for a second and dissapear. I had a couple of good shots but could not get them to go for my bunker pattern.

Back inside we go. Rather than chase the small pods we sit and wait and suddenly a very large bunch of them are breaking and coming towards the boat. I score my first of the season and the skunk is off. We each boat another fish later in the AM (guess around 7-8 lbs) and follow up with a bass and some bluefish in the afternoon.

Bait d'jour was big (5") silversides and bunker of various sizes. Also spotted some large bunker (+6") getting chased around. We did best with very small half/halfs and mikkleson epoxy patterns.

Slinger
09-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Good job Dave, at least you got some fish. Everyone else is scratching thier head wondering where they went. Pulled an all nighter at Fishers with eels for one 32" bass. Pretty poor for 3 guys during prime time.
Slinger

FishHawk
09-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Way to go Dave. Albies are the greatest.
FishHawk :D

Striper
09-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Dave,
I got your message and was heavy into the fish when you called on the backside of Fishers. Awesome fun throwing topwaters into the rocks and white water watching as the bass would literally toos the poppers in the air and inhale them on the way down. I managed about a dozen Albies before I got bored and frustrated with the crowds so I headed over to Fishers in search of bass and I found them. It was around 2:00 pm. and not another living sole was around I had a ball. None of the fish were bragging size but all were fat and healthy and very willing to play topwater volleyball. I am trying to get out tomorrow will have to wait and see but hopefully I can make it out.

Mike M.

BigDave
10-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Mike,

Sounds like a blast. We will be out there tomomorrow and FINALLY get to Montauk if all goes as planned. I'll bring my poppers for sure!

Tight lines!

FlyFishMich
10-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Be there on Monday...after a long drive from MI, and a pit-stop in CT to visit friends (and fish a little :hihi: ). Staying through Thursday...maybe I'll run into a few of you guys?

Slinger
10-02-2004, 02:35 AM
Been sick as a dog for 10 days. Finally got to the doctor and he says I`ve got pnumonia and have got to take next week out of work. This will lead right into my vac. I`m not going to let a small thing like not being able to breath interfere with fishing during prime time. 2 glorious weeks of fishing topped off with a couple of days of bow hunting in the Catskills,except for a occasional doctor visit.
Same thing happened in June for my Vineyard trip, but I wouldn`t let it stop me then either. It just took me three times longer to walk in to Dogfish Bar!
I`ll be haunting the south shore looking for the Grail.
Slinger

BigDave
10-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Steve, hang in there buddy. A little salt air and a bent 10wt should cure all that ails you!

We did Montauk on Sat. Found some fish in BI sound and hooked up to a couple. Ran all the way out to Montauk point which was dissapointing. Fish very sporadic, small pods (except one mega-pod seen in the wash) and WAY too many people cutting each other off and jockeying for position.

Hopefully it's better for you. Albie therapy.

Dave

Striper
10-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Dave,
Did you guy's go over to Gardiners like I suggested???? Montauk was a zoo this weekend with the Redbone Tourney and I ended up over at gardiners on Friday afternoon. Very good move on my part, Albies everywhere and few boats.

Mike M.

BigDave
10-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Mike,

Yes that's the area we found them in the AM but it was sporadic. We had some success there but thought the point might be better. Left fish to find fish. When we came back it was slack tide and totally dead.

We did not see one decent birdplay all day. We would see one or 2 gulls over fish but nothing to get overly excited about. Hoping to try it again this weekend. Maybe we'll just follow you around :hihi: