N. Tip S. Monomoy Trip 9/26 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: N. Tip S. Monomoy Trip 9/26

jimS
09-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Incoming tide today, eight guys, Jim S, CSJ60, Skiman, Grizz, Adrian, Double Haul, Skiman, & Bert. .

We banged fish early on he incoming, but not as well as yesterday. Outgoing was also not as good as yesterday.

The higlhlight of the trip was Adrian who went to the west flats and began to see fish on the flats. He landed five, a couple of keepers, and lost several that were good fish. He indicated that there were a lot of fish on the flats. We should have followed him onto the flats.

A couple of blues caught near the southway. Once 0 inch fish kept for the BBQ.

Good weather, good time and great bunch of guys.!

Alas, this was Keith's last trip for the seaon. He did good for us. Send him an email to show your support for his gracious demeanor for the members of the frorum.

Dble Haul
09-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Ditto what Jim said. The fishing was off, but I had yet another opportunity to meet some new faces:

Craig
Pete
Tom

Things looked like they would open up for us again fishwise early on (bait, sand eels, and a few fish within the first few casts), but it just didn't happen. I should have trusted my instincts and followed Adrian out onto the flats.

Thanks again to John for everything....the mayor's reputation continues to grow! :wink:

Of course now that we're off the island, it must be absolutely crawling with fish. :devil:

Adrian
09-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Sure was great to see everyone especially the new faces. Yesterday was tough going on the flats and I only managed one fish. Today looked like it was going to be worse first thing this morning. Low clouds and the wind honking out of the NW made the flats seem like a remote prospect - of course I was forgetting how quickly the weather can change on Monomoy - this time for the better.

Working the drop-off point ...

http://www.avsharp.com/working1.jpg

Someone is in!

http://www.avsharp.com/hookedup.jpg

It's Jim!! :smokin:

http://www.avsharp.com/jims.jpg

Bert took a walk down the East side to check out the Southway and Mark and I decided to follow. There were blues busting at the edge of the flats on the opposite side and Bert had seen Albies busting in close earlier. I decided to carry on South to check out the surf but it was a bit too high. I crossed over to the West side and came out at Hospital pond. I had to stop for a while to enjoy the view...

http://www.avsharp.com/hospital.jpg

Out on the flats I saw a fish break across in the channel and shortly after a 30+ inch striper came gliding by. I almost missed it but took a chance at the "going away" shot and to my surprise, the fish slowly turned, opened it's big mouth and the game was on :D

There were fish all the way up to the North tip and out on the the flats. Not the 'biblical' schools of the spring migration but plenty enough to make the long walk worthwhile. I finished up with five, lost a couple more and blew more chances than I care to remember. One fish that spat the fly looked like it would have made the forty incher I had at Quonny earlier this year look small. It's four pals were equally impressive!

flydoc
09-26-2004, 10:45 PM
jimS- hope you're wrong about this being the last trip...was hoping for one more trip in October before the Rip Ryder hauls anchor for the year. If not, then I'll just have to focus on waterfowl until the Spring Clave...QUACK...QUACK...
Doc Shep

FishHawk
09-27-2004, 04:32 AM
Way to go Adrian. Fishing the Flats is not easy and every fish you get is well earned. There is not place like the Flats. Nice way to end the season.
FishHawk :D

striblue
09-27-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks for Posting the Report Jim...I was hoping you guys had a better day... anyway a great venue.... Thanks for the help.... and Mark and Bert and Adrian... there we were saturday night ...you guys going to bed early in the middle of the Sox game and me falling asleep in the chair after you guys went to bed...missing most of the end game. Now that Keith is stopping the run...it looks like a walk down the street to Ridgevale Beach or a drive to Hardings for me to "wait" for the FA's to show up. Early morn... then Dusk.